Mr Excel Etiquette

Folks, I know that I did that today and don't really like it much. It made me feel even more guilty when I read this post. Kind of along the lines of what Russ says, I know I get so frustrated because when I think I've got something from the boards that I thought I could use to help me with my problem and then find out I was missing another element. It's easy to just post "your" problem.

I spend hours and hours trying to figure something out first and have learned so much from all of you and your generous help. I hope I always say thank you and in a way I'm saying it again. Reading this will make sure I approach all of this from your point of view as well as mine in the future.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
When an OP doesn't say thank you or acknowledge the help - I'm in agreement, that's just rude.
But, there are people who contact the consult address and we send them to the board for assistance. These may be people who do not know Excel! Who have no idea where to start looking for an answer. The purpose of the board is to help anyone, no matter their skill level, with Excel. Tho, I don't think we expect people to post entire projects here!! When I send someone here, it's usually for a question I know is simple, but I do not have the time to answer it (or the follow ups). I do not purposefully send someone here when their question is clearly a project. When you see such questions, feel free to *politely* explain that what they're asking is quite involved and they may be better served requesting a quote from MrExcel (there's a link to consulting at the bottom of each page). Not that I'm looking for more work! But it may help someone who doesn't realize the purpose of this board.. someone may actually think this is a "free for whatever you may need" board.. just as some think that the work done through the consulting side of the site is free... (yes, some actually think everything we do is free...but we need to pay for this board somehow!)

And, of course, I've done the opposite. If I see that the OP's request is in the nature of a large project and they do not appear to have the time or Excel know-how to pull off what they describe; especially if they appear to need it right away, then I will post a link to the consulting page and tell 'em to ask for Tracy! :wink:

And, of course, I've done the opposite. If I see that the OP's request is in the nature of a large project and they do not appear to have the time or Excel know-how to pull off what they describe; especially if they appear to need it right away, then I will post a link to the consulting page and tell 'em to ask for Tracy! :wink:

That might explain why I've been working almost 24x7
I haven't had a weekend off since last spring..seriously. And with a foal coming mid-May.. I don't know what I'm going to do...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tstefanakis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back