Movie quiz!

Alphabetspeak really annoys me, and it's really annoying when you ask the perpetrator what it stands for and they make out like you're stupid for not knowing. ...People make them up as they go and treat you like an idiot if you can't figure it out.
Erm, I don't think Oorang was tryin' ta make us feel 'toopid. Frankly it ain't all dat hard ta make me look a little slow on the draw anyhow. ;)

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
lol /me shares your loathing for Alphabet speak, I was just being lazy, cause it's the lounge. If you care, a full explanation follows:)

In this case RFC is used more often then it's meaning. Sort of like ANSI. In fact when you asked, I had to look it up, because I really couldn't remember what it stands for anymore:oops: (It's Request For Comments if you're interested.)
At my last job I had care of a database used by the marketing department. We did a lot of mass email to our clients and they were complaining that the call center people were making keying entries which led to invalid addresses. So I went down a little rabbit role of validating said. Since there isn't really a way to test emails for validity other than self reporting, I thought at minimum they should at least be possibly valid. A little digging around came up with RFC 5322 Section 3.4.1 which spells out what the syntax an email address must conform to for the protocol. Since it was Access, I ended up using an input mask. This is what I came up with then, I haven't really tried to work on since then:
Code:
[Email]="" Or [Email] Is Null Or ([Email] Like "?*@?*.?*" And LenB([Email])>8 And LenB([Email])<102 And (LenB([Email])-LenB(Replace([Email],"@","")))/LenB("@")=1)
But if you are working on a web site, you would probably be using RegEx (Regular Expressions) to solve the problem with a little more flexibility and accuracy (Example here).

regular_expressions.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanle89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back