Modify VBA to suit

Papi

Below is code from a Microsoft site that creates new rows each time it sees a number eg. if the number is 12 it will generate an additional 11 rows. Everything works great but I need to add the number 1 to each cell in column E when it creates each new row. If the number is 1 it will populate to 2 and then to 3 etc. How can this be modified to accomplish this?

Code:
Public Sub InsBelow()
Dim lngStartRow As Long
Dim lngEndRow As Long
Dim m As Integer
Dim n As Long
With ActiveSheet
lngStartRow = Range("F" & CStr(Application.Rows.Count)).End(xlUp).Row
lngEndRow = 1
For n = lngStartRow To lngEndRow Step -1
If IsNumeric(Range("F" & CStr(n)).Value) And Range("F" & CStr(n)).Value <> "" Then
    Rows(n + 1).Resize(Range("F" & n).Value - 1).Insert
     Rows(n).Resize(Range("F" & n).Value).FillDown
        End If
    Next n
End With
End Sub

See if the macro does what you want...
Code:
Sub ExpandData()
  Dim R As Long, C As Long, X As Long, Repeat As Long, Index As Long, DataIn As Variant, DataOut As Variant
  DataIn = Range("A1:G" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)
  ReDim DataOut(1 To 1 + WorksheetFunction.Sum(Columns("F")), 1 To UBound(DataIn, 2))
  Index = 1
  For X = 1 To UBound(DataIn, 2)
    DataOut(Index, X) = DataIn(1, X)
  Next
  For R = 2 To UBound(DataIn)
    Repeat = DataIn(R, 5)
    For X = 1 To DataIn(R, 6)
      Index = Index + 1
      For C = 1 To UBound(DataIn, 2)
        If C = 5 Then
          DataOut(Index, C) = Repeat + X - 1
        ElseIf C = 6 Then
          DataOut(Index, C) = DataIn(R, 6)
        Else
          DataOut(Index, C) = DataIn(R, C)
        End If
      Next
    Next
  Next
  Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(4).Resize(UBound(DataOut), UBound(DataOut, 2)) = DataOut
End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
There may be other ways of doing it, but I used column B (part number) to look for changes in groups, and added a little loop at the end to go through column E and renumber.

See if this works for you:
Code:
Public Sub InsBelow()

Dim lngStartRow As Long
    Dim lngEndRow As Long
    Dim m As Integer
    Dim n As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

With ActiveSheet
        lngEndRow = 1

If IsNumeric(Range("F" & CStr(n)).Value) And Range("F" & CStr(n)).Value <> "" Then
            End If
        Next n

For m = 3 To Cells(Rows.Count, "E").End(xlUp).Row
            If Cells(m, "B") = Cells(m - 1, "B") Then Cells(m, "E") = Cells(m - 1, "E") + 1
        Next m

End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Edit: Didn't see Rick's reply (didn't see there was a page 2). That seems to work well also.

Upvote 0
Looking back at the original code, what do I need to change to have it look also at cells with 1 and create one additional row and if possible to look at rows with Zero and leave that row alone then go up to complete the rest.

Code:
Dim lngStartRow As Long
Dim lngEndRow As Long
Dim m As Integer
Dim n As Long
With ActiveSheet
lngEndRow = 1
        End If
    Next n
End With

Upvote 0
Looking back at the original code, what do I need to change to have it look also at cells with 1 and create one additional row and if possible to look at rows with Zero and leave that row alone then go up to complete the rest.
Would you mind posting another before & after picture of an example, like you did back in post #10?

Upvote 0
Would you mind posting another before & after picture of an example, like you did back in post #10?

Thanks Joe. The short list is the start and it identifies how many rows are needed. The long list are those that are to be generated eg. if it says 3 rows then the original remains and adds three rows or if it says 1 row then the original remains and adds 1 row.

PO Register.xlsm
ABCDEF
1PurchaseOrderPartNoCostDatePeriodRequireRows
2PO2345616402-218.5306/02/1413
3PO234565H16260.5306/03/1421
4PO234567Z80252.6506/04/1473
5PO23456104512.0206/04/1411
6PurchaseOrderPartNoCostDatePeriodRequireRows
7PO2345616402-2(Original)18.5306/02/1413
8PO2345616402-2Copy1)18.5306/02/1413
9PO2345616402-2Copy2)18.5306/02/1413
10PO2345616402-2Copy3)18.5306/02/1413
11PO234565H1626(Original)0.5306/03/1421
12PO234565H1626(Copy1)0.5306/03/1421
13PO234567Z8025(Original)2.6506/04/1473
14PO234567Z8025(Copy1)2.6506/04/1473
15PO234567Z8025(Copy2)2.6506/04/1473
16PO234567Z8025(Copy3)2.6506/04/1473
17PO234561045(Original)12.0206/04/1411
18PO234561045(Copy1)12.0206/04/1421
Register

Upvote 0
Two questions for clarification...

1) Originally, you wanted the numbers in the Period column to increment in the newly produced table, but now you show the number remaining the same on all the repeated rows... which do you want now?

2) Your sample shows "(Original)" and "(Copy #)" in each repeated copy in the Part No. column... do you actually want that text in that column or did you include that text for descriptive purposes only?

Upvote 0
Two questions for clarification...

1) Originally, you wanted the numbers in the Period column to increment in the newly produced table, but now you show the number remaining the same on all the repeated rows... which do you want now?

2) Your sample shows "(Original)" and "(Copy #)" in each repeated copy in the Part No. column... do you actually want that text in that column or did you include that text for descriptive purposes only?

Hello Rick. The the first request used a macro that was working in another workbook and I needed to expand on that one for another workbook. Now I am needing to go back to the first workbook and modify that workbook. Should I have started a new thread for my final request? I was not sure what to do here.

Original and Copy# are intended to identify that Original is the first row and the Copies are the new rows. The text can remain as I will adjust when needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello Rick. The the first request used a macro that was working in another workbook and I needed to expand on that one for another workbook. Now I am needing to go back to the first workbook and modify that workbook. Should I have started a new thread for my final request? I was not sure what to do here.

Original and Copy# are intended to identify that Original is the first row and the Copies are the new rows.

No, not necessarily as the two questions seem quite related, but different enough to make your intent not entirely clear. What are the answers to my two questions... once we know exactly what you want outputted, then we can design the code to do it.

Upvote 0
Apologies for the confusion. In the original workbook I removed rows that were blank or the formula returned a value less than 2 and returned them after the macro ran. What I would like to do is have the value of column F create x number of rows below it eg. if it returns a 1 then copy one row identical below it and if it returns any other value to copy that number of rows eg 4 would have the first (original) and 4 of the same (Copies 1 to 4). I was hoping to leave those with blank cells, zero or nothing to remain in the workbook and ignore them. There are other formulas that will automatically copy down if the entire row is copied.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyFlower

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back