Moderators - job description?

L

Legacy 12630

What exactly are the functions of the moderators on this board?

I can accept that their functions should include deleting offensive or abusive posts and locking or eliminating duplicate posts.

However, the "book-burning" practice of deleting or locking posts where a moderator merely doesn't like or disagrees with something posted is surely not desirable in a public forum.

Ponsonby,

Apparently You have lot of opinions but a total lack of knowhow what moderators do.

Propably You haven´t raise this question if You wasn´t disappointed with the thread You refer to is locked.

Personal I feel sometimes that people like You enjoy playing stupid and need to provocate people to feel good.

Well, as I have said before:
Check out the term netiquette via a searchengine.

BTW, compared with many other list and communities the moderators here does a very good job, including the action taken in the referred thread.

The only thing I regret is that I can't ask You to "rtfm" however I can ask You to re-read Your own last post in that thread and find out if it something in it that might have had some impact of the moderators decision.

Kind regards,
Dennis

Ps I must say that I´m surpriced to see that You didn´t use CAPS

Thats funny LOL!!!!

LOL !!!!!

Ive chucked for 5 munites over this one LOL!!! LOL !!! RofLOL!!!

Thats funny!

Im still LOL!!!

Im off to my private forum to argue with myself over that one -

Im on that feed and have Pm the moderater conserned and i do agree, but the idea is to help people, rants in general are silly and get little,

I agree with rules of the web such as caps but from a newbies just run with it and Pm teh guy and introduce yourself and say BTW Caps <> good

Better than waving you privates about in public.

Alli care about is help and polite help

Motovation is a must, i support this, i agree the post was bad, but cut the guy some slack and chat to him, hell be ok, and probable understand

Most of my emailand PM comes from newbies, supporting my stand up, help these guys non of us have nothing to prove,

Jack

:) Such passion!

The comments of both Xl-Dennis and Jack in the Box have been noted, but they fail to address the point of my post.

Presumably XL-Dennis subscribes to the concept of free speech provided he agrees with what's being said.

LMFAO :biggrin:

Yes, free speech allow us to ask stupid questions and also give stupid answers to stupid questions unless the questions are not stupid then it's not appropiate to give stupid answers since the questions are not stupid and therefore stupid answers are not acceptable but however the free speech give us the right to ask stupid questions based on stupid answers and we have all the right to give stupid answers for the new stupid questions, the stupid problem is that sooner or later everyone get stupid then it´s no longer stupid to ask stupid questions or to give stupid answers i´t´s normal and a de facto standard.

Ain´t that stupid?

No, don´t take my post as passion - In fact I use my right to express whatever I want, which the free speech according to You give me, so I only give stupid answers to stupid questions which include stupid answers to Your stupid questions ...and that is stupid :wink:

XL-Dennis

Now let's not get too carried away with this.

I'm quite concerned about the affect my question appears to have had on you.

Are you feeling OK?

And as to my question "What exactly are the functions of the moderators on this board?" :- yes, of course, how silly of me to ask such a stupid question.

Hello Ponsonby, a few moderate thoughts from a moderator on moderating:

What exactly are the functions of the moderators on this board?

Please see the faq
I can accept that their functions should include deleting offensive or abusive posts and locking or eliminating duplicate posts.

Excellent, we agree.
However, the "book-burning" practice of deleting or locking posts where a moderator merely doesn't like or disagrees with something posted is surely not desirable in a public forum.

I still agree to a certain extent. Knowing myself and other moderators, I couldn't imagine a thread/post that was deleted despite being perfectly reasonable and in-line with the purpose of it's respective forum. Do you know of such a case? It seems as though you're implying as much.

I wouldn't equate locking a thread to book burning, I think of it more as read-only. Also, it's not a permanent decision, if you have something reasonable to add to a locked thread feel free to PM me and let me know how you intend to add to it, I'll unlock the thread. Also, if you believe I've unreasonably locked a thread, I have no problem discussing it, feel free to get in touch with me.

As for your concept of subjective thinking, well who is to decide other than a moderator? I've read Plato's The Republic and his arguments regarding the existence of purely objective standards, I didn't find them compelling.... It's going to be a subjective call no matter what, Bill has asked a few of us, who he trusts, to help keep the board in good shape and progressing.

Just trying to address your original post, not bothered by it at all or anything.

This message was edited by NateO on 2003-01-25 23:42

"I wouldn't equate locking a thread to book burning, I think of it more as read-only"

Ah! The thin end of the wedge.

The action that prompted my question was that after the following thread had been locked :-

http://www.mrexcel.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=36958&forum=2&27

I opened a new thread which referred to the old thread and expressed the view that Juan Pablo G.'s response to my post was strange.

Someone responded with the opinion that it appeared I had been rapped on the knuckles and told to stand in the corner.

I responded with the hope that this would not affect my grades.

This new thread was then deleted without explanation.

The thread contained nothing abusive or offensive.
It may well be that it was more appropriate for the "lounge" and a redirection thereto (instead of unexplained deletion) would have been entirely reasonable.

It's not such a big deal - just trying to keep people on their toes and fight against attempts to suppress individual freedoms wherever they appear! :)
(Much like the U.S. keeps telling everyone.)

PS
Before you edited your post, you said :-
"As for your concept of subjective thinking, well who is to decide other than a moderator? You?"

Good idea! Then I can make sure there will be no posts retained that contain opinions other than those with which I agree.

By the way, I think you are being rather too easily dismissive of Plato - one of mankind's greatest ever thinkers.

"I wouldn't equate locking a thread to book burning, I think of it more as read-only"

Ah! The thin end of the wedge.

Well you were using some heavy handed language...

I thought you were referring to that particular thread. I can see why it was locked, it was turning into a non-Excel related debacle... Would you like to me to unlock it? And why?

I opened a new thread which referred to the old thread and expressed the view that Juan Pablo G.'s response to my post was strange.

The locking aspect didn't seem strange to me in all seriousness, and Juan's entitled to his opinion, especially @ MrExcel.com. There was a lot of non-Excel discussion going on. This is the correct forum for such a query, versus Excel questions.

Someone responded with the opinion that it appeared I had been rapped on the knuckles and told to stand in the corner.

I responded with the hope that this would not affect my grades.

This new thread was then deleted without explanation.

The thread contained nothing abusive or offensive.
It may well be that it was more appropriate for the "lounge" and a redirection thereto (instead of unexplained deletion) would have been entirely reasonable.

Sounds memorable. :biggrin: Pulitzer material? Personally, I don't mind being questioned, but I might prefer a more private discussion, versus the entire connected planet.

It's not such a big deal - just trying to keep people on their toes and fight against attempts to suppress individual freedoms wherever they appear! :)
(Much like the U.S. keeps telling everyone.)

Noble. US law does not necessarily apply here, we're a global community. :biggrin: C'mon now, you get your say here all the time.

Before you edited your post, you said :-
"As for your concept of subjective thinking, well who is to decide other than a moderator? You?"

Good idea! Then I can make sure there will be no posts retained that contain opinions other than those with which I agree.

Sarcasm, I like it. Yes, I decided to moderate my tone. You've been posting here long enough to know that this in not the way we operate. We're talking about an abnormal circumstance.

By the way, I think you are being rather too easily dismissive of Plato - one of mankind's greatest ever thinkers.

You're entitled to an opinion, although I might delete it. :biggrin: In what respect? Objectivity? I didn't like his theory regarding objective thinking, I did like a lot of his other opinions. He was a very wise, out-of-the-box thinking individual.

Glad to hear it's not a big deal. Have a nice remainder of the weekend.

This message was edited by NateO on 2003-01-26 00:27

"I did like a lot of his other opinions"

If Plato were alive today, I'm sure he would be pleased to know that he has your support.

"Personally, I don't mind being questioned, but I might prefer a more private discussion"

If you post to a public forum, you'd better be prepared to be questioned publicly (unless, of course, you're a member of the Bush administration).

I can't be bothered with all the other stuff in your post.

Have a good one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senthil Murugan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back