Modelling Personnel, Companies and Addresses in Access.

TheArgyll

Good Morning All,
I was wondering if anyone could assist me with modelling some data. I am sure its not too complex but it falls outside the field I normally work in.

I have been asked to create a database that will model the Personnel, Companies and Addresses of everyone working on site. I am not having a lot of luck with the basic structure of this database and have included the details below.

I have three tables.

1. Personnel
First Name
Family Name
Badge Number

2. Company
Name
Contact Person
Contact Email
Contact Number

3. Address
Address 1
Address 2
Address 3
Town
Country
Postcode

Each member of Personnel should have 1 or 2 Addresses (Home Address and Work Address (for expats)).
Each member of Company should have 1 Address only (Business Address).

The specific trouble I am having is defining Primary Keys and Relationships between this data.
Any assistance anyone can lend would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob

Sorry, I'm completely confused, admittedly it may be because I looked at the database with open office. I didn't look at a form, I looked at the Persons tables that does have these null fields?

Horses for courses, if it works for you then all's good. I'd still go for a party model though

Good hearing another point of view :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Sorry, I'm completely confused, admittedly it may be because I looked at the database with open office. I didn't look at a form, I looked at the Persons tables that does have these null fields?

That was just some sample data. I do not judge a database design based on a few sample records of fictitious data.. I like to stress test with at least 5-10 years worth of data and lots of worst case examples.

Horses for courses, if it works for you then all's good. I'd still go for a party model though

I did a google/bing search and sis not really find anything good at defining on party model. May not be just the correct search terms.

Good hearing another point of view :)

I totally agree. I learn there is something called party model.

I get a lot of inspiration helping new people learn Access and database design.

From my math background I have the attitude that anything as it is possible until proven it not.

Upvote 0
I'm struggling to find anything good to recommend online also - you might get more luck with searching for table inheritance. There's a more concrete example of the sort of thing I'm talking about in the first answer here normalization - Same data from different entities in Database - Best Practice - Phone numbers example - Stack Overflow

Essentially it's the sample database taken to the next logical level. One has a base type of party (a table) with one to one ralelationships to other tables for the additional properties - the link above will probably clear up my rather unclear description ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link.

hat what I have read it is the same old theory from new names. The first time I was exposed to this theory was back in the late 70's. I have been doing this long enough that I rarely see anything I feel is truly new. Only new names with new lipstick.

Upvote 0
Haha very true, all tech ideas seem to come in cycles when the young ones rediscover older techniques. I can't imagine there's much new when it comes to relational databases - I reckon it's all been done :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back