[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]UK[/TD]
[TD]Europe[/TD]
[TD]True[/TD]
[TD]False[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

The Country and Region fields are completed via an index(match()) from another sheet which contains a text list of cities, countries, regions, etc.

I am trying to use the following formula: ={median(if(B2:B9="Europe",E1:E9))} to return the European median, but for some reason it doesn't work.

When I Evaluate the formula it recognises the cells filled with "Europe" as TRUE, but it then doesn't end up calculating the median over the range.

I mention the boolean fields as I can successfully run median(if()) on them (i.e. return the median where both are true, for example).

I have checked that it is not a name conflict or that I haven't got any spaces etc. hidden somewhere, but can't think why it won't calculate the Median when I ask it to reference the text fields. Any ideas?

Thanks!

@Aladin - I'm using CSE. The formula works if I use any other fields as the criteria except for these specific text fields. Can you think of what would prevent them from being used?

@AlKey - correct - that's just a typo in my example; it's correct in my actual. I'm actually working with personal information of a number of people, hence not using actual data in example.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
@Aladin - I'm using CSE. The formula works if I use any other fields as the criteria except for these specific text fields. Can you think of what would prevent them from being used?

Which field(s)? Can you be a bit more specific about the conditions you want when calculating a conditional mean?

Upvote 0
Sure -

broadly my data is structured thusly (with some dummy data):

[TABLE="width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Text field 1[/TD]
[TD]Text field 2[/TD]
[TD]Boolean field 1[/TD]
[TD]Boolean field 2[/TD]
[TD]Values[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Example text 1.1
[/TD]
[TD]Example text 2.1
[/TD]
[TD]True[/TD]
[TD]False[/TD]
[TD]Number[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Example text 1.2[/TD]
[TD]Example text 2.2[/TD]
[TD]True[/TD]
[TD]False[/TD]
[TD]Number[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

The data in the text fields is the output of a lookup formula from another tab. The data in the boolean fields is the result of some if statements referring to fields elsewhere in the sheet. I am trying to calculate the median of certain data in the "Values" field.

I am successfully able to calculate the median based on a criteria from the Boolean fields. However, I cannot calculate median based on values in the Text fields.

However, this is not because the text looks the same, but is not actually equal. For example, if I check that the first value in Text Field 1 = "Example text 1.1" I get TRUE.

If it helps, I can show the steps of the formula evaluator?

Upvote 0
Sorry - it is the test field Europe or Americas. To be clear, the answer 2 is correct and the syntax is correct, but the formula returns #N/A rather than the answer.

Upvote 0
{=MEDIAN(IF($BO$7:$BO$16907="Europe",$BL$7:$BL$16907))}

In the same sheet, the following formula does work: {=MEDIAN(IF($BQ$7:$BQ$16907=TRUE,$BL$7:$BL$16907))} where BQ is =if(BO="Europe",TRUE,FALSE)

If it affects things, the field of values (i.e. BL7:BL16907) is approx 99% full of "" as it's populated using a countif() with iferror()

Upvote 0
{=MEDIAN(IF($BO$7:$BO$16907="Europe",$BL$7:$BL$16907))}

In the same sheet, the following formula does work: {=MEDIAN(IF($BQ$7:$BQ$16907=TRUE,$BL$7:$BL$16907))} where BQ is =if(BO="Europe",TRUE,FALSE)

If it affects things, the field of values (i.e. BL7:BL16907) is approx 99% full of "" as it's populated using a countif() with iferror()

When you run:

=COUNTIFS($BO$7:$BO$16907,#N/A)

what result do you get?

Upvote 0
? I can get it to an error of "#NUM!" several ways. I generated error of "#N/A" by having different number of rows in the arrays.
Did you copy and paste the formula from Excel or did you type that into the thread?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csktwyr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back