Macro won't save in Excel 2013

Celtic1984

Can anyone help me? I've attempted several times without success to save a macro, once I've finished the recording. I did save the files as 'xlsm' or as a macro-enabled worksheet. I am using a new computer, windows 10. Not sure if that is a factor. I do know that when I saved the macro, I did not see "personal workbook' as an option. In the past, I've seen a workbook that opens in the background while I'm running a macro. Do I need to make a setting adjustment in Excel? And finally, I've read on older threads of saving the file as 'PERSONAL.XSLB' Binary Workbook. Not sure if this pertains to me. Appreciate the help, in advance. Mike

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Welcome to the Board!

Macros can be saved to the Personal Macro Workbook, but do not have to be. They can be saved it any Excel workbook. It sounds like you have saved them to the actual workbook.
If you want to create a Personal Macro Workbook, the easiest way is to record a new Macro, and select the "Personal Macro Workbook" as the location that you want to save it to. This will create that Personal Macro Workbook for you.

If you have not already done that on a new computer, you probably do not have a Personal Macro Workbook yet.

Upvote 0
I attempted to save as a 'Personal Macro Workbook' and it did not save. That is, the next time I attempt to run the macro, I cannot see the personal macro workbook as an option to save. I'm using MS 2013 version. I'm saving the raw data file as 'xlsm' macro-enabled worksheet. Is that the correct path? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Or do you think I need to save as a Binary Workbook?

Upvote 0
Try this:

1. Record a new macro
2. Elect it to save to your Personal Macro Workbook
3. Stop recording the macro
4. Go to View Macros, select the one you just saved, and choose the Edit Button
5. Add a simple new macro in there like this:
Code:
Sub Test()
    MsgBox "Good morning!"
End Sub
6. Close down Excel - it should ask you if you want to save changes to your Personal Macro Workbook - BE SURE TO SAY YES!
7. Re-open Excel
8. Go to View Macros
9. Change the Macros In option to the PERSONAL option

Do you see the Test macro listed there?

Upvote 0
Just attempted to follow your instructions. Was moving along fine until an error stated "cannot edit a macro on a hidden workbook. Unhide the workbook using the Unhide command". How do I 'unhide' the workbook?

Upvote 0
I performed that check. This file was not 'disabled'. I'm at a loss and don't quite understand what the issue is. Any additional suggestions? Really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Only other suggestion I have is to try removing/deleting all Personal Workbooks you currently have out there, and try starting again.

Upvote 0
So removing the workbook and starting over did not solve my issue. Would you like me to attach a workbook, to view personally?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SWahl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back