Macro runs more slowly each time it is run

Jehannum_2000

Office Version
  1. Prefer Not To Say
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a .xlsm spreadsheet with a button-activated macro that runs calculations on spreadsheet data.

Each time I call the macro it takes about 0.15 seconds longer to complete, even when using the same initial data.

The slowdown becomes noticeable and obvious after a while. A calculation that previously took 0.5 seconds now takes 6.5 seconds.

If I save and re-load the spreadsheet, it goes back to its fastest speed (but again slows down on each subsequent call).

Since the re-loaded spreadsheet has exactly the same data as the saved slow version, the problem surely cannot be some unseen change in the input/output data.

Could it be because the macro is being allocated more and more memory on each use? I used Task Manager to confirm that Excel's memory allocation increases each time the macro is called.

How do I fix this?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
You didn't, the OP did. You can only mark a post as the answer if you started the thread.

Ahhh - got it. You're probably not going to believe this but I forgot I didn't start this thread - old guy's memories aren't what they used to be.
Sorry Jehannum_2000, I didn't mean to hijack your thread but this has been so very helpful.

Thank you all. . .
Steve K.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul330

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back