London VBA Training

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Nope, I only recommended it because it seems like they are covering the right topics (seems fairly extensive to me).

I wouldn't recommend any training providers that I have used. Last time I went on an "advanced financial modelling" course the trainer had absolutely no 'field' experience and his skills were little more than basic. He ended up using my solutions instead of those in the text book. And it cost over 1K :warning:

I might suggest trying your hand at delivering the course. Go out and buy a good VBA book (John Walkenbach perhaps), familairise yourself with each topic ahead of delivery and give it a crack. You can always defer on supplying answers to the tricky questions, re-visit the board and understand the answer, and then go back and provide the answer. Sounds to me as though you are being presented with a great learning opportunity yourself. ;)

It's starting to look more and more like the way forward. I've got a couple of books so perhaps it's time to dust them off and see if I can put something together.

Cheers for the advice.

Nick

How many people are you looking to train? what levels are they/you? how much time did you want them to committ? are we talking evenings/weekends or weekday courses?

On-site or at the providers site?

Kindest regards

Dan

If you know the subject material - ie. you can generally go off topic, and field a few non-standard questions (you don't have to be a walking mrexcel.com) then you can train others.

The only problems are being comfortable talking in front of others and having the correct training structure.

If you know the people you are training - my guess is that you are in the same team - then they won't be judging you in the same way a stranger who had paid for a course would.

So you are left with the structure of the training and an earlier post alluded to a concern about throwing people in at the deep end.

I have trained a few people on starting with VBA, and I see it as 'sowing the seeds' - its then only people's desire to know more (by coming to mrexcel.com / books) and their imagination that really moves them on.

I started by showing them around the editor and a few key buttons. I then set up a spreadsheet with some football results (it was a team of guys) and showed them how to change the font colours and then write an if statement to determine home win / away win / draw using absolute references.

I then took it a stage further to demonstrate the same thing but with variables so that they could then have a loop a do all of the matches instead of copying the code.

I hope that this might help to show you where to start and am happy to send the training files I use if you PM me with your email address.

Cheers for that.

Contrary to any popular advice on the subject we've been put into a company analyst pool away from the respective departments that we report on. I'm not going to compalin though, right now so long as there's still a job for me I'll work wherever is needed!

As for the training I've not had a great deal of say in the matter after all. I've been tasked with automating one report to start with which I'm handing over to someone else in the team this afternoon. Because there are quite a few (nearly) identical reports I've used constants that can be changed to adapt this for the others. Some will then run perfectly whilst others will need further tweaking so I'm hoping I can get people thinking about what the code is doing by showing them these minor changes each time.

A structured course that's relevant to the work we're doing would have been perfect but we've not been given sufficient time to do this. There's also some concern from the people I have to train on this that it's not really what they want to be doing. The old 'someone's moved my cheese' thing I guess.

Hey ho. Such is the life of an analyst :)

Nick

I once took an "Advanced Excel" course at the local U.
What a waste of time. I learned one thing ALT + : puts the date/time into a cell.
We had people who did not know how to transfer data from the A: Drive (yes, the A: Drive). How did they get into an "advanced course"... Like Bryony I found the class to be dragged down by the lowest common denominator...

I would echo the advise that if you can teach your peers they (and you) would find it more useful because it is application specific.
I too have been asked to teach my peers some of the formulas that I use in our models. Thankfully not VB!!

In the end teaching others sounds nice but, like you said time is an issue.

Good Luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eui

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back