Link comment to cell contents on a different sheet

SLARRA

Board Regular
I would like to automatically compose a comment for a cell based on the contents of another cell on a different worksheet. I realize this will require VBA, which is outside my skill set. I searched this forum and the Web and found several potentially relevant posts, but I was unable to successfully adapt those examples either due to problems with the posted code or (more likely) my ignorance.

Seems like this should be fairly straightforward....

On a worksheet named "Define", there is a small table that occupies C11:E20. In C11:C20, there are short text fields that are used as labels for rating elements (e.g. "Element1" in C11, "Element2" in C12, etc). In D11:D20, there are longer text fields that provide a longer name for the corresponding labels in C11:C20 (e.g. "Element 1 - Long Term Factors" in C11, "Element 2 - Short Term Factors" in C12, etc). In E11:E20, there are longer text fields that describe those corresponding elements in detail (e.g. "Element 1 is comprised of blah, blah, blah..." in E11, "Element 2 includes yadda, yadda, yadda..." in E12, etc).

On a worksheet named "Classify", there is a large table that uses those short labels as a column headers in K18:T18 (e.g. K18 = Define!D11, rendering as "Element1", L18 = Define!D12, rendering as "Element2", etc). Note the transposed orientation between the two worksheets.

I would like to automatically create/link comments for cells K18:T18 on the "Classify" worksheet that replicate the corresponding element's description text from the "Define" worksheet. That is, I want the comment for Classify!K18 (whose cell value is "Element1", matching what's in Define!C11) linked to display the text that's in Define!E11 ("... blah, blah, blah"), Classify!L18's comment linked to Define!E12, etc.

Bonus items:
1. It would be great if those comments were automatically updated if their descriptions (Classify!E11:E20) are edited.
2. Given my arrangement, the description text for the comments could be extracted via Index & Match technique rather than simply referring to an absolute cell reference.
3. It would be great if the comments were composed of the concatenation of the long name (in bold font), followed by the description text (normal font) on the line below. For example, the comment in Classify!K18 rendered as
Element 1 - Long Term Factors:
Element 1 is comprised of blah, blah, blah..​

I can forgo the bonus items if they're tricky.

Thanks in advance!

SDL

James - that code you provided works a treat! And, it's obviously far more efficient than my fumbling efforts.

I consider my request fulfilled. Thanks for your persistence and assistance!

SDL

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Glad you could fix your problem ...:wink:

Thanks a lot ... for your very kind words ..:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Numbers Grrl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back