Library of Solutions ?

Von Pookie said:
I've never mentioned it to anyone, but I have actually toyed with the idea of taking the time to go through the board and do this myself (like I did with the general information thread, for example).

Making an *actual* FAQ, as it were (the stuff like "deleting duplicates," etc.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "deleting duplicates", but, if that's what I think it's, I'd for one strongly oppose such an undertaking. The database should be left one. Editorial selections can be made, although that would involve heavy judgements. Suppose that you prefer solution S1 for a typical question instead of S2. How certain would you be about such a judgment that risks to ban S2? What the OP desires is almost infeasible qua time and effort it would take.

A better search engine would be welcome. If financially feasible, it would even be better to goad google.com to index this site.

Aladin Akyurek said:
Von Pookie said:
I've never mentioned it to anyone, but I have actually toyed with the idea of taking the time to go through the board and do this myself (like I did with the general information thread, for example).

Making an *actual* FAQ, as it were (the stuff like "deleting duplicates," etc.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "deleting duplicates", but, if that's what I think it's, I'd for one strongly oppose such an undertaking. The database should be left one. Editorial selections can be made, although that would involve heavy judgements. Suppose that you prefer solution S1 for a typical question instead of S2. How certain would you be about such a judgment that risks to ban S2? What the OP desires is almost infeasible qua time and effort it would take.

Oh! Nononono. Sorry. I was meaning "deleting duplicates" as an example of a question that someone seems to post at least daily. Guess that wasn't as obvious as I thought. :oops:

Thanks for all the replies ppl, it was just a thought really, I knew it was one that most regular users of this forum have already had, and the folks that actually run the site have also had and wished they had the time and effort to actually make a start on it between solving users problems, managing the site and even trying to do a bit of their own work now and then !!! (and sleep ??!!)

The Poooook-meister has already made a fine effort to enhance this site by providing all the links and utilities mentioned in this thread, its just a shame newbies don't use these more, instead of ploughing straight into a new message raising the same question for the umpteenth time !

I know, I know, all the tools are there if you just spend the time searching and researching your query, but at the time, when your head is ready to explode, you've spent hours if not days trying to solve it, the deadline has already whizzed past you like concorde . . . . all you want to do is post your problem because you know you'll have a result in minutes !

Hows about giving board masters the option to "Copy this post to FAQ's" with a plain english explanation of what it does (generally).

Warmest regards,
Bob

staticbob said:
Hows about giving board masters the option to "Copy this post to FAQ's" with a plain english explanation of what it does (generally)...

You mean of course a solution by "this post". This proposal implicates that a board master or any other 'higher power' is a master of "plain English", understands Excelese fully, is a capable of grasping a solution thoroughly, and is a communicator/teacher. Categorically speaking, I don't want any post of mine explained by any board master (or by any other higher power for that matter) the way this proposal wants it.

Aladin,

Of course . . . again perhaps what I meant to say is that a "power user" could actually link their OWN solution to "FAQ's" if they see fit.

With respect to all on the board, I don't think theres many people out there that could explain your incredible solutions in plain english, apart from yourself. I have found one of the most valuable sources of information on this board is your posting history !

I only wish my brain was like a sponge and I could digest information and retain it, rather than it being like a lump of impenetrable mud !!!

Bob.

The only thing I would say is that OzGrid has a forum called:

"Hey! That is cool!"

where forum members can post tips and tricks that are cool. There's 113 posts in there right now, but I'd say only about 10 of them are truly cool. (that's an opinion, not an OzGrid bashing) The 10 or so things in there that are cool are very cool, but it's a shame that they're lost in all of the dross.

http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14

What would make something like that workable would be to vote on whether or not something should stay in. However, ideas like that are doomed to fail because once the novelty wears off people stop voting. Which is a shame. :(

Mark O'Brien said:
The only thing I would say is that OzGrid has a forum called:

"Hey! That is cool!"

where forum members can post tips and tricks that are cool. There's 113 posts in there right now, but I'd say only about 10 of them are truly cool. (that's an opinion, not an OzGrid bashing) The 10 or so things in there that are cool are very cool, but it's a shame that they're lost in all of the dross.

http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14

What would make something like that workable would be to vote on whether or not something should stay in. However, ideas like that are doomed to fail because once the novelty wears off people stop voting. Which is a shame. :(

There was a big debate over at Ozgrid about the "Cool" forum..... as it was inevitable that it would attract some posts that more "advanced users" might not think are very cool (i.e. "ALT + F11 opens the VBE" type of thing).

However, we were also very keen not to discourage newer or less exprienced/technically able posters. There is enough of that in the newsgroups :cry: where inexperienced people get slated & criticised by supposed "Guru's" for their lack of skills/knowledge....Ozgrid was an attempt by Dave to introduce a slightly more friendly learning experience..

I guess everyone's skill level is in some way different.... and that even though someone of your experience/skill may find 10 "Cool" posts - a new user may think all 100 or so were "Cool"...

After a long debate, Dave summed it up like so....

The idea behind the that's cool forum is, if you thinks it's cool, then it is! The reason there are no replies possible is so another person cannot reply with something like: "Everyone knows that" and thus putting off any more postings.

What is cool is ALWAYS decided by the poster, regardless of their level.

Mark, for once i do agree with your sentiments.... :LOL: The "Cool" forum on Ozgrid is probably "doomed" to become a listing of shortcut keystrokes etc with only a very few "gems" (There's at least one or two in there that have already made me laugh outloud, although I'm not sure they were intended to be in any way humorous.)

Unfortunately, this whole area of forum-worlds is extremely subjective... in creating a forum for "Cool Tips" we knew that it would attract a wide spectrum of posts...from your CTRL+C right up to Andy Pope's 3-D graphs... but hey, as long as the posts are suitably titled, people can always ignore the "Copy/Paste Shortcut Discovered" type of post....

I guess with this forum, any volunteer to create such a listing would want payment.... that's one heck of alot of posts to wade through!! :p

Will

Will,

Well spoken mate and I total agree with the idea behind it :biggrin:

Mark,

Are You just lurking around at OzGrid?

Or should I assume You pick up some tips and use there here :LOL:

Kind regards,
D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaskin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back