Library of Solutions ?

staticbob

Hi all,

This site has been invaluable to me, both solving my own excel queries with lightening speed, but also learning by browsing other posts each day, most of which goes over my head but I'm learning slowly !!!

Obviously the search facility should be used much more, I myself have now found previous posts that would've solved my problems without repeating questions !

Is it possible to create a solutions library ? Perhaps detailing all of the (basic) VBA solutions on here with a self explanitory title ? For example . . .

- Disable right clicking.
- Mandatory cell entry before save.
- Change tracking with VBA.
- Advanced conditional formatting (3+ conditions)

I know this is just me being lazy but I think it would help us new users to find solutions without bothering the brains with menial tasks !!!

Just a thought.

You can use the conditions you've stated as targets with the Board's Search function.

I know that Jon, but I don't know what I don't know.

Perhaps what I meant to say was rather than searching for a solution when a problem arrises, how about a catalogue of most useful, generic and commonly solved problems that users can browse.

For example, when I was browsing and saw the post on how to make a cell entry mandatory before save, i thought "Ah, thats useful, I could use that here, here and just over there."

. . . and also, questions posed don't always give away the solution required. Usually by the 20th post its . . "Ah, thats what you meant, try this!"

Or you can click index to 485 Excel Articles at the bottm of each Excel Questions Sheet

Regards
Bosco

Now that helps ! Perhaps just a big fat red arrow pointing to the seach and excel articles links would help numpties such as my goodself !!!

staticbob said:
Hi all,

This site has been invaluable to me, both solving my own excel queries with lightening speed, but also learning by browsing other posts each day, most of which goes over my head but I'm learning slowly !!!
Same here, I also found the following useful: 'Index to 485 Excel articles' (link at foot of this page), or the Statistice, 'Most Active / Viewed posts'?

Cheers

Alan

The "Hall Of Fame" forum was supposed to be a repository for commonly asked questions. However, the main problem with it is the fact that it takes a lot of work to maintain a forum like that.

The 485 questions link pre-dates the HOF and I know that took weeks to put together.

I've never mentioned it to anyone, but I have actually toyed with the idea of taking the time to go through the board and do this myself (like I did with the general information thread, for example).

Making an *actual* FAQ, as it were (the stuff like "deleting duplicates," etc.)

However, the realization of not really knowing where to go after doing the questions I'm aware of combined with the laziness of not really wanting to work on a computer when I get home tends to wipe the thought from memory until I see a post that could simply be answered by using the search.

There are just too many angles to a problem like this.
That's why I ended up creating the general information and add-in/link threads. Partially to make it so that there were some form of guidelines of conduct available somewhere, yet there is no actual way to force someone to even use them. Heck, some people probably don't even see them; they're too busy typing away, asking their question that has been dealt with too many times to count.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaskin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back