Laptop screen resolution

I bought my laptop to be my primary machine as my Desktop is getting old (1GB RAM... urgh), so for me given I spend most of my time being a nerd n'all screen resolution was of paramount importance... mine runs optimally @ 1920 x 1200 on 15.4" so in XL terms I get A:AC @ 100% (default col. width) ... needless to say it's obviously quite small font-wise etc... for me it's not only perfect but also has the added bonus that my wife deems it too small
(and to beat Richard to it, no, not the first time she's said it)

I think it's fair to say you do pay (cash) for higher resolution so if you don't need out of the ordinary resolution don't buy it as it's a waste obviously.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Luke - I remember you saying that you could see a ridiculous number of columns! Given that we only really use Excel at home for tracking monthly expenditure, I think I can probably cope with fewer columns.

(Surely no man actually believes that size doesn't matter?)

I thought it came with a resolution enlarger, if the size was too small, you could change it. Not that I've ever needed this contraption.

Eh..hem!

Our work PCs are all set to 1024x768 which most people seem very happy with. Personally I can't stand it and always immediately change my resolution to 1280x1024 when I move desks. I find it a bit too blocky otherwise.

My home PC is 1440x900 (widescreen) but 1280x768 is perfectly sufficient. One thing that's quite important is the maximum refresh rate. 60 hertz is fairly standard, but you will likely get some screen flicker at higher resolutions unless you can put it up to 70 hertz or higher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eui

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back