it's not possible to program infinity, is it?

I quite enjoyed this program that was on the BBC earlier this year. The whole concept of infinity* still makes my brain hurt though. Don't think it's available to watch any more but you might be able to find it somewhere.

Dom

* Along with most other maths to be fair

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
The oddest thing I heard about infinity, recently, was that there are just as many even numbers are there are odd and even numbers put together.

That kind of screws with your head.

Yeah, that would be Aleph Zero, the infinity of natural numbers. It's intuitively true, because you can set up a 1:1 mapping between the even numbers and the natural numbers, with each natural number mapping to the (even) number that is twice itself (ie 1 maps to 2, 2 maps to 4, 3 maps to 6 etc). Since you don't run out of numbers on either side, it's clearly true.

However, since the even numbers are a subset of the natural numbers, it's also quite clearly bonkers!

I love infinity.

I was listening to something on Radio 4 recently (think it was called A Brief History of Maths, with Marcus du Sautoy), and learned that there an infinite number of infinities. My degree only covered two (natural numbers and real numbers), so I really must find out what all the rest are for...

...so I really must find out what all the rest are for...

You might want to leave that for the afterlife - sounds like the perfect project for Eternity.

I've sometimes wondered, if, indeed infinity is actually needed. At some point, you run out of things to count. If we take the smallest of the subatomic particles and figure out however many there are of these in the universe; wouldn't that be, from a pragmatist's POV, the highest number we should ever need?

You might want to leave that for the afterlife - sounds like the perfect project for Eternity.

I've sometimes wondered, if, indeed infinity is actually needed. At some point, you run out of things to count. If we take the smallest of the subatomic particles and figure out however many there are of these in the universe; wouldn't that be, from a pragmatist's POV, the highest number we should ever need?

I think if I counted my wife's shoes, I would need a higher number than that.

You always need more than infinity just to get it over the edge. To paraphrase Nigel Tufnel, "This is one louder. These go to Infinity plus one."

My computer understands infinity quite well - that's what it loops to when I'm not paying enough attention.

If we take the smallest of the subatomic particles and figure out however many there are of these in the universe; wouldn't that be, from a pragmatist's POV, the highest number we should ever need?
So what you're saying is - "It's the little things in life that count"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back