Is it okay to vent about user activity on this board?

kyrgan

I am curious whether it is okay to vent a bit about the usage of this board.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Awesome. My issue has to do with quips and statements that have absolutely no bearing on the users question. A recent example is this:
Question:
I have to look up a specific SS# on three different sheets of the same workbook, because each of the sheets has more than 65536 rows (it is really one list but has to be divided up due to the size). How to make a vlookup formula to look on each of the three sheets? The sheets are named 2-16, 17-33, 34-63. TIA for any help!
And the first response is this:
In this case, using Access would be easier

Now, as most of us know, this is almost always true. BUT, the user is not using Access. Now what has happened is the users question has a response, and some users that might have helped him have a greater likelihood of not even opening the message.

I honestly don't know very much about VBA, but I am learning and I am trying my best to pass what I learn back to the board. It just really chaffs my hide when I see pointless responses that offer no help what so ever.

Thanks for letting me rant.

I disagree. I think that was an appropriate response. Sure, should have addressed the issue as well, but still appropriate. If someone was trying to use a hammer to cut glass would you not first tell them that they are using the wrong tool?

kyrgan

I agree in that case the response was rather short.

But I don't see why it would stop others responding to the original question.

Personally I look at the thread title first and not if there have been replies.

If it's something of interest or something I think I could help with then I'll take a look at the thread.

Hi,

should have addressed the issue as well
I agree with this. In this case it might be clear that Access is THE tool, but it is not sure that the Original Poster can spend much time to learn this new tool for a task which occurs only once in a while...
But there are other examples ... often I see a response like "what are you trying to do ?" or "please post your code", then the OP is responding and the "what .. ?" poster never comes back :huh:

We could complain all the time about each others behaviour and surely I hate some responses, but there is not much we can do about. Till about a year ago I've sent quite a lot of PM's trying to explain the consequences of some posts, but it didn't really work often: some just don't seem to understand that posting in a thread involves a kinda responsability (f.i. about follow up). But that's only my opinion. We'll have to live with each other.

kind regards,
Erik

I will do my best to ward off the Snark by not being to annoying!

Kristie:
What does the tiny text in your avatar say?

Thanks

Ha!..thats a great site!

Thanks!

I have already forwarded it to a bunch of my cat friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ckaplan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back