Is anybody checking my work?

blasphemy

Also if the OP doesn't come back saying it does not work, then you can assume you have done what's needed

Just remember because you do something 1 way and someone else posts a completely different answer, you are not wrong. With Excel there can be dozen if not hundreds + ways of doing the same task.

LOL... I do need to learn how to make them.. and I don't make recorded macro eithers :)

Very true about different ways of doing things.. I just want to learn simpler ways of doing it sometimes.

and I like your comment about the op not coming back and saying it doesn't work, because I never thought about it that way. I always figured I somehow crashed their excel, which in turn crashed their computer, which in turn took out their internet, which in turn made them leave the house, which in turn made the do something daring in life.. isn't that how that commerical goes

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I flat outright refused to learn macro's for ages. And I'm glad because by the time I started I knew Excel inside out. There's a hell of a lot you can do without VBA - so unless you really need it in your work, don't rush. ;-)

VBA is such a great way to reduce thousands of cells of repeated formulae to a few lines of code. ive reduced multi-mb files to a few hundred kb.

Diddi/Jon,

I agree with both of you. VBA can be an essential timesaver, but far too often people try to do in VBA what they can do natively. A prime example is Pivot Tables.

I didn't even start to learn code until I'd used Excel for over 5 years, and I'm still learning.

Diddi/Jon,

I agree with both of you. VBA can be an essential timesaver, but far too often people try to do in VBA what they can do natively. A prime example is Pivot Tables.

I didn't even start to learn code until I'd used Excel for over 5 years, and I'm still learning.

Yup mine was a 5 year wait at least too. Of course I agree that VBA is hugely powerful and I am so pleased that I invested the time into VBA that I did. And I'm also very grateful to the many members here that have invested their time in my learning. I've learned alot from Smitty and many others, but not just the MVP's here. There are hundereds of others that I have learned from.

But in my experience almost all capable VBA developers went through a phase that I call "a dangerous VBA developer phase". When I teach Excel/VBA I also call it the "****y phase". I don't have PEDII to hand but I like the way they summarised the phases. One of them was a phase where the developer sees every problem as needing a VBA solution. I absolutely hate seeing projects with copious modules and code where native functionality would have been a much better option.

The problem is so often people who learn VBA invest just about enough time studying it that they never mature beyond that phase. That's one of the side-effects of VBA being mostly a "self-taught" programming language. Most never embark on any form of study of proper programming practices. Learning methods and functions is not enough... Or on the other side of the spectrum I sometimes see people from a programming background start developing in VBA yet many don't invest the time to properly study the Excel Object Model and discover the native functionality that Excel offers. In these cases again you see buckets of code (usually structured somewhat better), but where VBA is used to solve problems that a pivot table etc. could easily solve.

Sorry if I sound like the sceptic here, but in my experience 90% plus of people that I meet in companies (that I have worked for or consulted to) should not be allowed to employ VBA in their projects. That is, not without proper training. These days I steer well clear of projects where I need to adapt or inherit someone elses project; it's often just so much quicker to learn the requirements and start from scratch... There are plenty of people on this forum that I would happily work with and be happy to inherit their projects, but unfortunately (again in my experience) most people I meet through my work have never heard of MrExcel and never contribute to any of the Excel/VBA forums. I honestly don't think books are enough and most VBA training programs I see out there are hopelessly inadequate. Even forum lurking isn't enough - you gotta get stuck in and tackle problms that you find challenging. Learning VBA (and the programming discipline) takes months/years, not 2-3 days...

Like Smitty, after many many years, I'm still learning. These days I find less time to devote to the discipline (due to work loads and other hobbies), but I try and keep active enough to keep on learning.

These days I steer well clear of projects where I need to adapt or inherit someone elses project; it's often just so much quicker to learn the requirements and start from scratch...

Agree with this so much. Personally I actually started out with VBA because I was working on something that was taking 2 people an entire day to do and it was very manual. I found out about automation and got stuck in. My early code was poor of course but I loved it and learned much. I was one of those that always wanted to solve something with VBA. I was pretty active on VBAX but when it stopped working properly on chrome I wandered over here and started to see more questions about formulas than VBA. I got stuck in and learned there was so much I could do with out VBA. Now when I come at a problem I want to solve it with a formula if I can (and if it would be more efficient). I still use VBA daily and I love the fact it is there but I'm glad I now understand the concepts of complex formulas. I feel I am much more of a well rounded user.

Well put guys.

And I've been on the receiving end of a few projects with some horrible code in it (e.g. 347 declarations like "Dim ExternalData_1") instead of a simple loop, and no comments. In one case I got over 1,000 lines of code down to 4-5, just by stopping and taking a look. On the other side, I'm dealing with a workbook right now that literally has 680 static address named ranges (for one series of data), but the data range changes and the named ranges don't!

It is unfortunate that there aren't any really good VBA courses, but like Jon said, it is very much a self-taught language. It's yet another example of Microsoft doing a ****ty job of promoting something so widely used in business.

Since this thread has gotten so much traction, can one of you answer this for me :) http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/757886-vlookup-embedded-if-statements.html

I'm not sure if it's even possible.....

On a note related to this thread.... I'm all about index match match, to the point i try to use it for everything and just like many people use vba...

Index/Match is good but it has its limitations, I generally start my through process

1) Can i think of a formula that may work
2) if the formula practical to use or will it bog down the processor
2a) write formula using trial and error, thinking of what formuals may work best
3) Start VBA is needed

FYI I have attempted the question you posted

I started programming in 1977 (FORTRAN) and used excel sans vba for quite a while before my "great revelation moment" when I discovered that excel actually had a vb layer back in about 2001. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFromAustin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back