Internet Usage

I'm not counting my phone. My other iPod is an old Shuffle so it's only 1GB. Enough for the gym at any rate.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi All
Well I've searched everywhere without getting a useful answer.
I am about to Connect to Wireless at home......I've never had the Net before 'cause I have it at work.

What I'm trying to find out is what sort of download usage some of you have.
My provider tells me I need a 5Gb plan, my friends tell me 2Gb.

Please give me some clues as to what I might be up for !!
The Criteria per month:
1. No Movies or Books
2. A couple of CD's
3. About twice a day to Mr Excel
4. about 2 hrs a day surfing and looking at holiday sites, car sites, etc.
5. Check E-Mail about twice a day and reply.

Geez, now I've made a list, maybe I don't need the Net.

I'd appreciate any input !!

Regards
Michael M

Downloading a CD? as in a compact disc? They are abour 750 Megabyte each... But that is if you download them in an uncompress format... Which would be odd to find online...

1. No Movies or Books 0MB
2. A couple of CD's Variable but average 2MB per song (Compressed), 12 per "CD" 2 CDs 25 Songs = 50-100MB to be generous
3. About twice a day to Mr Excel Mr.Excel looks lean to me, if you burn 5MB/day I would be surprised (but hard to really comment as I don't track this stuff)
4. about 2 hrs a day surfing and looking at holiday sites, car sites, etc.
Highly variable but still...
5. Check E-Mail about twice a day and reply. Average email, with no picture attachments, <30 kilobytes so after 100 you get 3MB, you will be emailing alot to burn through 2GB.

So very roughly if you downlaod 25 songs a month, send 3000 emails a month surf Mr.Excel and other sites you might be around 400 MB a month if I am even close in estimations... so that will leave you 1.6 GB of head room... you get the picture.

IMHO 2GB is plenty for the above mentioned list. To my thinking the provider is trying to sell you the 5GB, so go with the lower plan cause they are MOST likely upselling you. Try the 2GB and if it aint enough Upgrade!

Cheers.
M

Last edited:
Thanks M
Yeah, I get the idea.
I actually meant downloading a CD's worth of tracks, so 10-20 mp3's, but you have put on track.

Rorya, you get the gong for hijacking the thread !!
I knew the minute I posted somebody would.

Regards and thanks to all
Michael M

You need to look at the penalties for going over your limit as well.

If the 5GB package is £5 more a month but the penalty for downloading is £100 per GB then it might be worth just going for the bigger package.

I say this because in the UK 3 Mobile broadband has a package that is £10 with a 1GB limit per month. If you go over this limit the charge is 10p for each MB over. thats £102 per GB.

For just £15 you can get the 3GB limit.

Worth checking

Rorya, you get the gong for hijacking the thread !!
I knew the minute I posted somebody would.

Thanks - I learned from some of the best in the business... ;)

You need to look at the penalties for going over your limit as well.

If the 5GB package is £5 more a month but the penalty for downloading is £100 per GB then it might be worth just going for the bigger package.

I say this because in the UK 3 Mobile broadband has a package that is £10 with a 1GB limit per month. If you go over this limit the charge is 10p for each MB over. thats £102 per GB.

For just £15 you can get the 3GB limit.

Worth checking

Wow. What a rip.
(not to hijack again) but, I find the whole internet/cell phone plan thing, at least here in Canada, to be be such a rip off. As if going over your plan minuts or bandwidth is really worth such a harsh penalty.
I want to charge them back for each freaking minute I have to spend on the phone listening to their bogus phone menu sytems then waiting on hold for.................................ever. Grrr. Scams all of it scams.

Good luck Michael!!

Cheers.
M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djjamesp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back