import excel column width

Bala

Board Regular
Hi,

I set the MS-Excel column width to 18. But when I import into MS-access, the column width is NOT 18. Pls. help.

By the way, can I specify the 'specification when I import Excel file' ?. FYI, I can do it when I import TEXT file.

-Bala

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hi Bala,

Build the report like you want it to look in Access.

Then export the report. When you do this, the formats from the report in Access are transfered to the resulting Excel report.

Use code as follows:
Code:
DoCmd.OutputTo acReport, "MyReport", acFormatXLS

Replace MyReport with the report your exporting.

When run, a dialog box will pop up asking where to save, which you usually want.

HTH,

Upvote 0
Access will not format the column widths to match Excel.
As a general rule you should not use the tables in Access to work with data anyway but use forms. Forms give you a much better control of data validation.

If you import by using the wizard you can save the import specification under the advancwed options and then use this saved spec' when you import from code.
HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
Access will not format the column widths to match Excel.
As a general rule you should not use the tables in Access to work with data anyway but use forms. Forms give you a much better control of data validation.

If you import by using the wizard you can save the import specification under the advanced options and then use this saved spec' when you import from code.

HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
My advice was for keeping formats when exporting from Access,

I didn't notice that you are trying to import formats into access tables. Just make a report or query that refers to the imported table. Save this query or report and the formats (column widths) will be saved with it.

HTH,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kibria

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back