IF problem...I think

mjs1982

What I am trying to do is make excel populate information automatically from one sheet to another. I'd like to say, "IF the value in ANY of the cells in a selected column are greater than 1, then populate the information in the ROW cells from which the column cell is located." I.e. if my entire column A is empty, except A46 contains a value greater than "1," then I'd like the contents of cell B46 populated. But, if say all of column A was empty except A12, then populate the contents of B12...and so on. So something like =IF(A1:A100>1,then populate the contents of cell B whatever (B being the correct column but the row would depend upon what row in column A contained a value greater than 1).

This is complicated for me to put into words, but if anyone understands and can help, it would save me an enormous amount of time. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
If you want a formula solution then you will need to have an IF function in every cell in column B where there is data in column A. If you have a lot of data in column A you will need to have the formula copied down a long way, that might slow you down for huge amounts of data.
If you don't want a formula, but just want the value to be inserted into column B then the only way is with a VBA solution

Upvote 0
and where do you want to populate your data if a1:A100 is greater than 1? give a complete details to solve your problem.

Tips: sample data will be a big help to solve your problem.

Upvote 0
Okay, here's what I've got. I am a "landman" and I create conveyances of property from owner to owner from the late 1800s to the present. So every conveyance is a line item (row). Somewhere in all of these conveyances I have a "source deed," which is a single row line item, containing columns (cells) for these categories: Grantor, Grantee, Instrument Type, Date and County. All of the conveyance line items are on sheet 1. The source deed info is on sheet 2 but is pulled from a specific line item on sheet 1, and this line item varies. What I'd like to be able to do is add a column on sheet 1 where I could simply type "S" (for "source deed") in the cell on the row that the source deed exists. By typing the "S" I would like it to populate all of the source deed info from that row on sheet 1 to the necessary places on sheet 2.

Upvote 0
are you prefered for macro? your problem can't be done with a simple formula it should be macro to execute what you need.

Upvote 0
It turns out vlookup did the trick. Thanks for wanting to help inspite of my lack of sample data and poor explanation. Think I got it though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back