If between then VLOOKUP

osf9

Dear all,

I'm looking for a smart formula to test if a number is between a range of 2 other number and then I need a susequent VLOOKUP to report on the other spreadsheet the value I need.

Just to explain in a better way with an example:

Value StartValue EndText
15Good
610Poor
1115Awesome

<tbody>
</tbody>

Now, I have another table where I have:

ValueVLookup

<tbody>
</tbody>

I need to include the Vlookup column the Text related to the range in the first table.

Thanks in advance, best regards, Carlo

And to be honest, how smart is it to tell someone to use a looooong IF-statement, in stead of a very short vlookup, based on the fact that you "dont know" if my vlookup would work.. had you bothered to learn something by testing what i wrote, before you startet handing out advice, you would have saved all 3 of us something... Me some grievens, the osf9 and yourself some time..

He said he wasn't sure how it would work so I tried something else. Like I said I figured the VLOOKUP would work but I didn't know what it would return for a number right in the middle. You explained that it goes to the lesser value. Thanks. What's with the attitude?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
He said he wasn't sure how it would work so I tried something else. Like I said I figured the VLOOKUP would work but I didn't know what it would return for a number right in the middle. You explained that it goes to the lesser value. Thanks. What's with the attitude?

hmmm attitude... well yes, perhaps a bit of that in there... and even thou I still think you trying to correct a non existent problem (he didnt say it didnt work, just that he didnt understood it... had he tried it and said it didnt work, i would have found the column issue right away... again, why the vlookup solution is better, cuz the error-checking is very simpel on that one) with a long if statement was annoying, I shouldnt give you attitude like that... So please accept my appoligy (that one is def not spelled correctly)... i am sorry that I wrote that. No need for me to get annoyed like that when all you where trying was to help...

best regards

Leandrial

Upvote 0
Of course it works in that way, but I thought there was something "shorter". I was thinking to something like: "=if(between(A1:B2);VLookup....;"")" but there is no "between" function on Excel (as far as I know).

Upvote 0
If you want a shorter formula then

Code:
=[COLOR=#333333]vlookup(A1;Ratings;3;TRUE)
[/COLOR]

to do what you need, then I dont know of any...

Best regards

Leandrial

Upvote 0
If you want a shorter formula then

Code:
=[COLOR=#333333]vlookup(A1;Ratings;3;TRUE)
[/COLOR]

to do what you need, then I dont know of any...

Best regards

Leandrial

I nee to apologize with Leadrial: I tested his formula in the wrong way (I gave the name only to the third column and not to the entire lookup range.

A colleague of mine and me just retested it and it works fine.

Thanks everybody for your precious support.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PattiButche

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back