IF(AND(OR function

poikl

Platform
  1. Windows
Could you please help me with this function so that it should work?
I would like to check in Cel-D2 if it equals either "AA", "AB" and Cel-E2 does not equal "Pass" or it (Cel-E2) equals N/A# then Cel-F2 should show "Problem" otherwise it (Cel-F2) should show "OK" ?

Ok, let's see if we can accurately pin down the criteria for this:

1) If D2 and E2 are blank, then return a blank
2) If D2 is blank and E2=Shipped then return "Not Designated"
3) if D2=AA or D2=AB and E2 is not Pass or E2 is not Shipped or E2=#N/A then return "Problem"
4) Otherwise, return "OK"

Have I missed anything?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
First, Thank you for helping me
What I need is something simple, you know, like =IF(AND(OR etc. (I don't prefer to use the fancy functions of INDEX etc. to show the following (only 2 corrections, "sorry".

1) If D2 and E2 are blank, then return a blank (this part is simple and i know how to code it.)
2) If D2 is blank and E2=Shipped "or E2 = Pass" <-[please note insert] then return "Not Designated"
3) if D2<>AA or D2<>AB (but anything else except blank), then it doesn't matter what is in E2 (i am not testing for that now) then return blank

4) if D2=AA or D2=AB and E2 is not Pass or E2 is not Shipped or E2=#N/A then return "Problem"
5) Otherwise, return "OK"

Upvote 0
poikl said:
1) If D2 and E2 are blank, then return a blank (this part is simple and i know how to code it.)

2) If D2 is blank and E2=Shipped "or E2 = Pass" <-[please note insert] then return "Not Designated"

3) if D2<>AA or D2<>AB (but anything else except blank), then it doesn't matter what is in E2 (i am not testing for that now) then return blank

4) if D2=AA or D2=AB and E2 is not Pass or E2 is not Shipped or E2=#N/A then return "Problem"

5) Otherwise, return "OK"
Ok...going with this criteria, I came up with this (although it hasn't really been tested):

=IF(AND($D$2="",$E$2=""),"",IF(AND($D$2="",OR($E$2="Shipped",$E$2="Pass")),"Not Designated",IF(AND(OR($D$2<>"AA",$D$2<>"AB"),$D$2<>""),"",IF(AND(OR($D$2="AA",$D$2="AB"),OR($E$2<>"Pass",$E$2<>"Shipped",ISNA($E$2))),"Problem","OK"))))

Upvote 0
I was so happy to get your response but I'm sorry but it still not working!
When Cel-D2 has AA and Cel-E2 is N/A#, then F2 shows N/A# instead of "Problem"
Pleeease help

Upvote 0
# Descrip Status Ref Cont.
1Z121 Gold NOT REQ AA Pass
1A122 Yellow NOT REQ P1
1Z127 Gold 2 NOT REQ AB #N/A
1Z135 Red NOT REQ AA Shipped
Its something like this.
aladyn, it's not that I didn't appreciate your help I really do but I just don't have such knowledge in EXCEL to follow the fancy resolution thats why I asked for something simple
Please help

Upvote 0
I had some spare time, and figured I'd play with this a little. This is what I came up with:
Book1.xls
ABCDEF
1#DescripStatusRefCont.
21Z121GoldNOTREQAAPassOK
31A122YellowNOTREQP1OK
41Z127Gold2NOTREQAB#N/AProblem
51Z135RedNOTREQAAShippedOK
Sheet1

Upvote 0
poikl said:
Could you please help me with this function so that it should work?
I would like to check in Cel-D2 if it equals either "AA", "AB" and Cel-E2 does not equal "Pass" or it (Cel-E2) equals N/A# then Cel-F2 should show "Problem" otherwise it (Cel-F2) should show "OK" ?

This board has been such a help to me I thought I'd jump in and try to help out. I've seen the other replies and understand why you're looking for something simpler. I think I've got it but I need the answer to two questions before I post it:

1) Is Cell-E2 a formula? I assume it is because of the possible values you listed like "Pass" and N/A# ("#N/A" is a possible result if the formula results in an error). If it is, would you please post the formula? This will help me complete the solution I have.

2) Are you going to use the same forumla in Cell-F2, F3, F4, F5, etc? If yes, I won't use the absolute cell references that another responder used so you'll be able to copy it into as many cells in column F as you like.

Thanks,

Phil

Upvote 0
Actually, I just used absolute columns; he can drag/fill it down the rows all he wants and it should automatically update :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KENNETH ROGERS

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back