Identifying code attached to a control button

andy72685

Board Regular
I'm working with an Access form NOT designed by me that features an option to duplicate data on a new entry. We've been having trouble with this option being used incorrectly. Is it possible to identify the code associated with the button, in case removing the button also requires removing the code? Or, is it possible to see something in Design Mode with the 'Visible' property set to 'No'? I'm hoping that any action taken would only be temporary, and I don't want to destroy the functionality of the program.

It does seem to be a split data base. All users can be active at once, and while the record # is immediate, none of the records from the other machines show up in the next/previous queue unless YOUR access is closed and reopened. Of course, I could test it by disabling the control, then having another user reopen the program. (Must wait for permission for that, just in case...don't want to screw anyone else up)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
You should verify if the database is split by finding the separate access files on other machines. The behavior described can also just because of the way Access works - you don't always see changes by other users unless the report/query/form is refreshed.

Upvote 0
In a split database, each user has their own Access file
Not necessarily true. The front end can be shared and still be split from the back end tables. I don't wish to trigger a debate on the pros or cons of either, just clarifying.
@andy72685: can you not see the navigation pane in the front end, even if you have to open the db using the shift bypass? If all or almost all the tables show a little arrow pointing to the table icon and/or name, that indicates it is split. Mousing over the table name should show the location of the back end.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily true. The front end can be shared and still be split from the back end tables. I don't wish to trigger a debate on the pros or cons of either, just clarifying.
I suppose you could, though it is probably not a best practice and I think kind of defeats the purpose (and benefits) of it!

Upvote 0
I've done it before for small groups (20 or so users, not likely all concurrent). The databases are still working 7 years later with no problems. You get all the benefits of separating the tables and being able to replace only the FE when needed. You still get to work on the FE when the production one is in use. You don't have to distribute 20 FE's, just one.

Now that I know other ways of distributing an application and insuring each copy in use is current, I probably would do it differently if the occasion arose. It likely won't since I've retired.

Upvote 0
I know that at my past job, we ran into problems when users were concurrently running the same front-end, or users had different versions of Access (you would think that within one office they would all be on the same version!). Giving users each their own copy of the front-end and keeping it current wasn't an issue. I simply created a batch file which copied down the most recent version from the network to their PC and then opened it. I placed the batch file on their desktop, and that is what they click to open/run the database. That model seemed to serve us well over the years.

Upvote 0
The reason I didn't do that is because half would leave their db open. you can't overwrite a file that's in use AFAIK. Long after the common fe method I learned another way but never got to use it.

Upvote 0
I don't have access to anything other than the form used to enter the records / search for certain criteria. No table access at all, but as I said, you can search for data entered at another machine, it just won't show up automatically. Entering one record, and then having the next one skip ahead would be the only immediate indicator.

Upvote 0
Just try your solution and see if it works. If it doesn't then, you might have a split db after all (with multiple front ends, that is). But as I said, to know if there is one or more front ends you have to look for the actual files.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anmol Pandey19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back