I would like to introduce myself..........

Welcome to the Board!

In addition to what everyone's said, check out the: Microsoft Template Gallery.

It's full of good exapmples of what could probably be termed "proper spreadsheet design."

If you like, I'd be happy to send you a workbook that details every native Excel function with working examples and how to's. I also have a wb with loads of VBA UserForm examples. Both can make you go: "Oh, that's how they did that!"

As for how long with Excel/Spreadsheets, well I first started using Quattro in the early 90's when I was ranching. It was good for doing herd counts, pasture allocations, crop rotations, etc., but I never had enough time to do with it what I realized a ss was capable of. SUM was about as complicated as I got. When I came to work in a coat & tie environment, I was sat down with 1-2-3 and developed stuff that drastically made my life easier, but in retrospect, it would have been much better managed in a database application (essentially list management). I didn't really get into starting to utilize ss's until I got Excel in 96/97 and started developing interactive forms for sales people when I saw how much time they wasted doing paperwork. I got into VBA in 98/99 or so largely by using the recorder and also taking great advantage of Microsoft's "free" assistance program (I think it was 3 support instances per valid license #, so I took my Boss', VP of Marketing, etc.). They essentially wrote all of the code for my first big project, which is still being used company-wide (albeit updated just a wee bit since then...;))

I have no formal PC training other than a few books, and most of the things I know about Excel, I either learned by accident, or here. Mr.Excel is definitely the reason I know what I do about VBA and advanced formulas.

Unfortunately, I'm in a somewhat similar spot as Zack in that I've streamlined my work (and others') so much that I've actually created a great deal more of it for myself, with daily/weekly/monthly reports & analysis, etc., that it has put somewhat of a kibosh on expanding/experimenting further. I.E. Being the go-to Excel guy in a company isn't always a good thing, as I find myself sucked into projects all the time that despite my desires to be more, have to be essentially computerized Etch-A-Sketches for our sales people and support staff. My euphamism for it is "Sales Automation Development", although technically I'm a Financial Analyst.

This is probably the best resource that I can think of and everyday I see answers that just blow me away!

Good luck and if you ever have a question, just ask away! You'll find that the folks here are probably the friendliest around and have a genuine desire to help you find the fastest/most efficient answer possible.

Smitty

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the board. :)

mark9988 said:
So I'm a financial analyst for a very large financial firm in NYC. As of right I feel as if I should of became a pharmacist or something because I spend about 8-10 hours a day on Excel when I could be spending only 4 hours a day if I knew how to.
{snip}
Finance, eh? Yes, Excel can be an applicable tool in the field. I'd say go through the Financial Functions that Excel has to offer and check out the help files on them. I'd also recommend that you tie-out your results using long-hand until you're comfortable with them, e.g.,

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?p=833028#833028

Don't assume that your use of the function is correct because it is returning something. And if you become dangerous with VBA at some point, don’t try to reinvent these functions with a UDF if you don’t have to. I made this mistake with the NPV function once...

My experience with Excel comes from reading and experimentation; as noted here, I read, then I read some more. I started searching on/reading about/experimenting with very specific problems I was approaching, then I began to branch out and read on more general or specific topics that I didn't necessarily have an immediate use for.

In any case, enjoy the forums, this is a great resource. :)

Smitty:

My euphamism for it is "Sales Automation Development"

S.A.D. - I like that. :lol:

Just remember, Mark - the term "guru" is relative - what amazed me in Excel a year ago is nothing to me now - as you learn more, you will realise how little I know. :-D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattyM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back