I need to learn MS Access. FAST.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
All good pointers... Some others to think about are

Grover Park George on Access -- available from MrExcel store (or Amazon, I'd guess). Good, straightforward book by an Access MVP.

Some general primers on database design (table structures). Search for Normalization on Google and see what comes up.

One of the first in my collection is Database Design for Mere Mortals (Mike Hernandez).
Other good Access authors include
Helen Feddema
John Viescas

and, when you get more advanced,
Ken Getz
Andy Baron

Best of luck with the interview!

Denis

I have a monthly e-zine called the Access Wizard that you may want to check out.

You can get to it at my web site

http://custom-software.biz/Ezine.htm

Be sure to start with the articles on normalization (tech talk for your field and table structure). How you arrange your data will be the most important thing you do with any applicaiton.

HTH

Jim Connell<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Custom Software<o:p></o:p>
978-392-3462<o:p></o:p>
http://custom-software.biz<o:p></o:p>
Home of The Access Wizard<o:p></o:p>

Thank you every body for you help, advice and info on this subject. Turns out I do have Access at home, but I have decided to buy the £50 student Office 2007 package for students (with a clear conscience!) so I can start using Excel 2007 as well - it can't hurt.

I'll keep you posted on my progress further into the world of data bases. Even if I don't get this job, the lady at the agency says my skill set is generally hard to come by in a candidate in the charity sector (I hope she wasn't just saying that) so with any luck I have a good chance with other charities and other jobs. It seems positive.

Thanks Jim, I have just been mosying round your site and have subscribed. :-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tstefanakis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back