I am back! Did you miss me?!

Hi, congratulations and best wishes for you and your family.

I really liked that traditional dress your husband is wearing in the picture you posted. Its awesome. I wonder what is that metal belt called and I suppose it is of copper or bronze ? Is it heavy ? Is it available for others too, I mean a new one in some mall or a shop ?

I am sorry to have ask you so many questions but I really liked that belt. I have only seen people who live in Scotland wearing that dress. It made me remember that mel gibson movie "Braveheart".

Its really cool :)

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Hi, Bryony,

Congratulations!!
As "patience" is one of your gifts, you will succeed in marriage :-)

warm regards,
Erik

Hi, congratulations and best wishes for you and your family.

I really liked that traditional dress your husband is wearing in the picture you posted. Its awesome. I wonder what is that metal belt called and I suppose it is of copper or bronze ? Is it heavy ? Is it available for others too, I mean a new one in some mall or a shop ?

I am sorry to have ask you so many questions but I really liked that belt. I have only seen people who live in Scotland wearing that dress. It made me remember that mel gibson movie "Braveheart".

Its really cool :)

Hi Stormseed - don't apologise for asking questions! Asking questions is great!

The belt is called a sporran - and yes it is quite heavy. Glen (my husband) says it didn't get in the way and he hardly noticed it, although I would have been constantly aware if I were wearing it! It is a pouch that is made of leather (quite stiff leather) and traditionally deer skin front. I guess in history it would have been used for holding small hunting tools, or some such, but I think Glen (and the others wearing kilts (of which there were five)) kept their mobile phones in theirs!

Another interesting piece of kilt trivia is that strictly speaking a person can't just wear any tartan (the pattern on the skirt) but have to be descended from clans that wore them. My mother, for example is entitled to wear the Gordon Tartan (although not a kilt as kilts are for men!) as she is descended from the Gordon Clan. Alledgedly.

This outfit (in the photo) is not what the Scottish Highlanders would have worn in the time of Braveheart, but a 19th century romanticised version thereof. However, I think they look absolutely stunning, and almost the first thing I said after Glen asked me to marry him (after "yes") was "Does this mean you get to wear a kilt?" as Glen is Scottish (or at least his father is.)

Anyway don't take my word for all that as I am not an authority on highland dress by any means, but if you are interested, this website gives a reasonably good overview:

http://www.textileglossary.com/terms/kilt.html

:-)

Hi Bryony

"Sporran", how do you pronounce it ? Thanks very much for giving this wonderful insight of your culture & traditions. It was a pleasure knowing about your ethnicity.

I don't know but as you said,
strictly speaking a person can't just wear any tartan (the pattern on the skirt) but have to be descended from clans that wore them
I would dare to wear it ! I could not believe that it is leather, instead it has so much resemblance of a metal finish, don't you think so ? I guess, it must be "musk" if it has a deer skin front ? That "musk" which I am talking about is filled with its natural fragrance and it smells really very good and I just forgot what we used to call it in our language. I will need to ask my mom again :-D

The clans you are referring to, alike the Gordon clan, in our culture they are known as sub-castes. In our country, there are so many religions. Everyone belongs to a particular religion. One religion has many castes, again a particular caste has many sub-castes and it would go on and on !

Thanks again for that link, I will soon check it and rite now I can't because our company only allows access to pre-declared websites :)

OK, I got it !! I was able to recollect what we used to call that naturally fragrant deer skin in our language: We call it "KASTURI" !!!

COOL :biggrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warwick89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back