Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
  3. 2019
  4. 2016
  5. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a file with an entry for every date of the year. IT contains text and numbers and special characters like quotes, parentheses etc. The problem is that it was taken from a print book with footnotes, so many numbers are embedded in the text right after another character that points to a footnote.

We are not showing footnotes so we need to remove those numbers only. Basically any number immediately preceded by a character should be removed.

I looked all over and did not find a solution. Please help.

Thanks for the feedback. Just to be sure: if you copy the formula from above (I made one change after it was posted) and test it on the test data above, will it still return #CALC?
1726179845870.png

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
and for the rows it ran, it unfortunately did not work

Upvote 0
Use Power Query and the following Mcode

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.Select([Column1],{" ","-","a".."z","A".."Z"}))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Book7
CD
1Column1Custom
2 U—V’ahavta..., “Love your fellow as yourself.”6UVahavta Love your fellow as yourself
3“Love the Eternal your G-d.”7Love the Eternal your G-d
4“Whoever is pleasing to man is pleasing to G-d.”8Whoever is pleasing to man is pleasing to G-d
Sheet1
Thanks. I am not sure I know how to do that. But in the result we are losing the good quote marks and the good M-dash. All I really want is the footnote numbers to be removed.

Upvote 0
So, after some observations there is an adjusted formula which should work where it now returns a result:

Excel Formula:
=LET(
array,TRIM(A1)&" ",
signs,VSTACK(CHAR(SEQUENCE(15,,33)),CHAR(SEQUENCE(69,,58)),CHAR(146),CHAR(148)),
matrix,signs&TRANSPOSE(SEQUENCE(100))&" ",
a,TOCOL(IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(matrix,array)),matrix,NA()),2,TRUE),
b,REDUCE(a,SEQUENCE(10,,0),LAMBDA(x,y,SUBSTITUTE(x,y,""))),
TRIM(TEXTJOIN(b,FALSE,TEXTSPLIT(array,a))))

As far as #CALC errors are concerned some sample text with the error could help.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback. Just to be sure: if you copy the formula from above (I made one change after it was posted) and test it on the test data above, will it still return #CALC?
What I get is some rows have #calc. And some rows have text. The text rows however still have the issue with the footnote.

Upvote 0
ג​
תשרי​
01A
3​
^^^^The Tzemach Tzedek had yechidus with the Alter Rebbe on Monday of Teitzei, 6 Elul 5564 (1804); the Rebbe told him: On Shabbat Tavo 5528 (1768), my Rebbe (the Maggid of Mezritch) said a “Torah” beginning V’shavta ad Havayeh Elokecha. He explained that the avoda of teshuva must attain a level at which Havayeh, transcendent Divinity beyond worlds, becomes Elokecha—Elokim being numerically equivalent to hateva (nature), and as we find, “in the (Translation continued on next page) beginning Elokim created the heavens and the earth etc.” All the Holy Society (disciples of the Maggid) were profoundly stirred by this teaching. The tzadik R. Meshulam Zusya of Aniponli said that he could not attain the heights of such a teshuva; he would therefore break down teshuva to its components, for each letter of the word teshuva is the initial of a verse: T: Tamim—“Be sincere with the Eternal your G-d.” Sh: Shiviti—“I have set G-d before me always.” U: V’ahavta—“Love your fellow as yourself.” V: B’chol—“In all your ways, know Him.” H: Hatznei’a—“Walk discreetly with your G-d.” When my father told me this, he concluded: The word teshuva comprises five (Hebrew) letters, each letter a path and a method in the avoda of teshuva. (He explained each method at length). Each moves from a potential state to actuality through the avoda of davening.* * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^***
0​
0​
1​
1​
2​
FALSE​
TRUE​
^^^^
#CALC!​
ד​
תשרי​
01A
4​
^^^^A resume of my father’s explanation of the first method (of teshuva, see above): T—Tamim..., “Be sincere with G-d, your G-d.”1 This represents the avoda of teshuva that comes through sincerity. Sincerity, or “wholeness,” takes a number of forms and has many levels. In reference to teshuva the highest form is wholeness of heart—called “earnestness”; as Torah says of Avraham, “you found his heart faithful2 before You.”3* * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^***
0​
0​
1​
1​
3​
FALSE​
TRUE​
^^^^A resume of my father’s explanation of the first method (of teshuva, see above): T—Tamim..., “Be sincere with G-d, your G-d.”1 This represents the avoda of teshuva that comes through sincerity. Sincerity, or “wholeness,” takes a number of forms and has many levels. In reference to teshuva the highest form is wholeness of heart—called “earnestness”; as Torah says of Avraham, “you found his heart faithful before You.”3

Upvote 0
Hello again, many thanks for posting those examples. Based on those it is obvious that there are no footnotes within the 1st one. So, the adjusted formula is as follows:

Excel Formula:
=LET(
array,TRIM(A1)&" ",
signs,VSTACK(CHAR(SEQUENCE(15,,33)),CHAR(SEQUENCE(69,,58)),CHAR(146),CHAR(148)),
IFERROR(TRIM(TEXTJOIN(b,FALSE,TEXTSPLIT(array,a))),array))

As far as the latter problem is concerned, cf. the attachment which shows the result of the formula above for the 2nd example in my computer. Since it calculates within your computer your version of Excel knows all the necessary functions. After some thinking the only things that came to my mind are that a) you could try to update your Excel or b) the version of Excel you are using is not for Windows but for Mac.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Solution
Hello again, many thanks for posting those examples. Based on those it is obvious that there are no footnotes within the 1st one. So, the adjusted formula is as follows:

Excel Formula:
=LET(
array,TRIM(A1)&" ",
IFERROR(TRIM(TEXTJOIN(b,FALSE,TEXTSPLIT(array,a))),array))

As far as the latter problem is concerned, cf. the attachment which shows the result of the formula above for the 2nd example in my computer. Since it calculates within your computer your version of Excel knows all the necessary functions. After some thinking the only things that came to my mind are that a) you could try to update your Excel or b) the version of Excel you are using is not for Windows but for Mac.
OK I replaced the formula with the updated version and it looks good. I will spend more time on QA but this is amazing. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terrynelson55

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back