How to import multiple csv files into one excel file ?

Kenor

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

Anyone can help to confirm below VBA code for above matter?

Sub datasheet()

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Worksheets(Array("FG_Pack_Bundle", "FG_Store_Bundle", "FG_Ship_Bundle", "FG_Pack_Bag", "FG_Store_Bag", "FG_Ship_Bag")).Delete
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Workbooks("FG_Pack_Bundle.csv").Worksheets("FG_Pack_Bundle").Copy After:=Workbooks("FG_Database.xlsm").Worksheets("Database")
Workbooks("FG_Store_Bundle.csv").Worksheets("FG_Store_Bundle").Copy After:=Workbooks("FG_Database.xlsm").Worksheets("FG_Pack_Bundle")
Workbooks("FG_Ship_Bundle.csv").Worksheets("FG_Ship_Bundle").Copy After:=Workbooks("FG_Database.xlsm").Worksheets("FG_Store_Bundle")
Workbooks("FG_Pack_Bag.csv").Worksheets("FG_Pack_Bag").Copy After:=Workbooks("FG_Database.xlsm").Worksheets("FG_Ship_Bundle")
Workbooks("FG_Store_Bag.csv").Worksheets("FG_Store_Bag").Copy After:=Workbooks("FG_Database.xlsm").Worksheets("FG_Pack_Bag")
Workbooks("FG_Ship_Bag.csv").Worksheets("FG_Ship_Bag").Copy After:=Workbooks("FG_Database.xlsm").Worksheets("FG_Store_Bag")

Dim bk As Workbook
For Each bk In Workbooks
If Not (bk Is ThisWorkbook) Then
bk.Close SaveChanges:=False
End If
Next

Workbooks("FG_Database.xlsm").Activate
Worksheets("cover sheet").Activate

End Sub

Before this, I create another Database using same VBA code. So far, no problem.

Only this time, it shows this error.

--> Run-time error '9':
Subscript out of range

And its refer to this sentences.

Sub datasheet()

--> Worksheets(Array("FG_Pack_Bundle", "FG_Store_Bundle", "FG_Ship_Bundle", "FG_Pack_Bag", "FG_Store_Bag", "FG_Ship_Bag")).Delete

Hope anyone can help.

Thanks

I think you are getting confused as to what that line of code is doing (I am guessing that maybe this is code that you did NOT write yourself).
That is deleting existing sheets in your workbook, it is NOT importing anything at that point.
The intention was probably to delete those sheets before trying to import any file that has the same name.

If you look at your VB Explorer screen print that you posted, you can see that it has sheets named:
- FG Store
- FG Ship

Neither of those match what is in your array.
I showed you how to ignore those errors, by surrounding that line of code with the two lines to temporarily ignore those errors.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Sorry, I'm still confused about what I should do.

Let me explain a little how I do to import data from csv files.

1647265638444.png

I will click on Open CSV File ...then all the csv files will open. This part works well.

After that, I will click on Copy Data Sheet ...this part becomes an error as I mentioned in the posts above.

The FG STORE sheet & the FG SHIP sheet are for me to use as a place to collect all the data from the csv file after all the csv files have been transferred into the FG Database Bundle workbook.

While the Database sheet is a summary of all the IN data that is in the FG STORE sheet and the OUT data that is in the FG SHIP sheet.

Upvote 0
Slow down, and go back and carefully read what Alex and I wrote.
We very clearly stated what the issue is - your code is trying to delete sheets that do not exist in that workbook at that time.
Do you understand that?

Did you try replacing your line of VBA code that does the deletion with the three lines I posted, and see if that resolves your problem?

Upvote 0
Slow down, and go back and carefully read what Alex and I wrote.
We very clearly stated what the issue is - your code is trying to delete sheets that do not exist in that workbook at that time.
Do you understand that?

Did you try replacing your line of VBA code that does the deletion with the three lines I posted, and see if that resolves your problem?
After I tried it :-

1647267318605.png

Upvote 0
That does not look anything like the code I posted in post 8.

You originally had this line:
VBA Code:
Worksheets(Array("FG_Pack_Bundle", "FG_Store_Bundle", "FG_Ship_Bundle", "FG_Pack_Bag", "FG_Store_Bag", "FG_Ship_Bag")).Delete

I am telling you to replace that line with this:
VBA Code:
On Error Resume Next
On Error GoTo 0

Upvote 0
That does not look anything like the code I posted in post 8.

You originally had this line:
VBA Code:

I am telling you to replace that line with this:
VBA Code:
On Error Resume Next
On Error GoTo 0

An error has disappeared. I can import all the csv files.

But when I try to import for 2nd time.

The number of csv sheets increases in the FG Database Bundle workbook instead of deleting the previous one and replacing it with a new csv sheet.

1647268283875.png

Upvote 0
OK, then I think we will need to do what Alex recommend, and loop through each sheet individually, so it won't cancel out and not delete anything is it cannot find any one certain sheet.
So that loop to delete the sheets would look something like this:
VBA Code:
    Dim arr()
    Dim ws

'   Set array of sheets to delete
    arr = Array("FG_Pack_Bundle", "FG_Store_Bundle", "FG_Ship_Bundle", "FG_Pack_Bag", "FG_Store_Bag", "FG_Ship_Bag")

'   Loop through array and delete sheets
    On Error Resume Next
    For ws = LBound(arr) To UBound(arr)
        Worksheets(arr(ws)).Delete
    Next ws
    On Error GoTo 0

You would just place that in place of the delete line you had originally.

Upvote 0
OK, then I think we will need to do what Alex recommend, and loop through each sheet individually, so it won't cancel out and not delete anything is it cannot find any one certain sheet.
So that loop to delete the sheets would look something like this:
VBA Code:
    Dim arr()
    Dim ws

'   Set array of sheets to delete
    arr = Array("FG_Pack_Bundle", "FG_Store_Bundle", "FG_Ship_Bundle", "FG_Pack_Bag", "FG_Store_Bag", "FG_Ship_Bag")

'   Loop through array and delete sheets
    On Error Resume Next
    Next ws
    On Error GoTo 0

You would just place that in place of the delete line you had originally.

Sorry, it still same.

1647269494400.png

Sub datasheet()

Dim arr()
Dim ws

' Set array of sheets to delete

' Loop through array and delete sheets
On Error Resume Next
Next ws
On Error GoTo 0

Workbooks("FG Store Bundle.csv").Worksheets("FG Store Bundle").Copy After:=Workbooks("FG Database Bundle.xlsm").Worksheets("DataBase")
Workbooks("FG Ship Bundle.csv").Worksheets("FG Ship Bundle").Copy After:=Workbooks("FG Database Bundle.xlsm").Worksheets("FG Store Bundle")

Dim bk As Workbook
For Each bk In Workbooks
If Not (bk Is ThisWorkbook) Then
bk.Close SaveChanges:=False
End If
Next

Workbooks("FG Database Bundle.xlsm").Activate
Worksheets("cover sheet").Activate

End Sub

Upvote 0
It is up to you to list in the array whatever sheet names you want deleted.
Currently, it is the following (gotten from your original code):
VBA Code:
Note that it does NOT include "FG STORE" or "FG SHIP".

If you want those sheets deleted, you will need to add them to that array (and remove any ones that you do not need in there, if any).

That is why it is important to not just use the code, but also have some sort of understanding what each step does, so you can maintain the code as situations change.
I typically add documentation to my code to explain what each step is doing (i.e. "' Set array of sheets to delete").

Upvote 0
What if instead of trying to delete the import worksheets by naming them, you define the worksheets you want to keep and delete anything else?
Example:

VBA Code:
Sub datasheet()

Dim WS As Worksheet
    Dim WB As Workbook
    Dim WName As Variant

Set WB = ThisWorkbook 'presumably that is 'FG_Database.xlsm'

'Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    For Each WS In WB.Worksheets
        Select Case WS.Name
            Case "Cover Sheet", "DataBase", "FG STORE", "FG SHIP" 'don't delete
            Case Else 'delete everything else
                WS.Delete
        End Select
    Next WS
    'Application.DisplayAlerts = True

For Each WName In Array("FG_Pack_Bundle", "FG_Store_Bundle", "FG_Ship_Bundle", "FG_Pack_Bag", "FG_Store_Bag", "FG_Ship_Bag")
        WB.Workbooks(WName & ".csv").Worksheets(WName).Copy After:=WB.Worksheets(WB.Worksheets.Count)
    Next WName

For Each WB In Workbooks
        If Not (WB Is ThisWorkbook) Then
            WB.Close SaveChanges:=False
        End If
    Next

ThisWorkbook.Activate
    Worksheets("Cover Sheet").Activate
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kramb

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back