How to group data from a data model/Power Pivot

e_nnm_m

I have a table that shows orders. I have an order number, and open date, and and end date. This has been loaded to the data model as I use Power Pivot (and this table is linked to others.) Within the data model I have a calculated column that calculates the number of days between the open and end dates.

In an earlier version--the regular Pivot table one--I could generate a Pivot table with all the dates, and then group them so that I could create a histogram chart. But as grouping is not available in Power Pivot, I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any work arounds?

Thanks, --EM

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
I don't understand your question. I've created a dataset, added it to Power Pivot and created a calculated column of "DaysOpen":
1720839275432.png

And then created a pivot table using the data model table.
1720839351446.png

Have I missed something?

Upvote 0
I don't understand your question. I've created a dataset, added it to Power Pivot and created a calculated column of "DaysOpen":
View attachment 114058

And then created a pivot table using the data model table.
View attachment 114059

Have I missed something?
This is exactly what I did. But now I want to group the DaysOpen by, say, a period of 10 days...so 0-10, 11-20, etc. Right-clicking on the DaysOpen shows the "group" option grayed out.

Upvote 0
I have solved my issue. I don't like it--I don't like adding calculated columns to my data model because I am getting worried about file size--but what I did was add yet another column with an IF statement: if the days were less then or equal to 10 then 1, if the days were between 11-20 then 2, else 3. Then I was able to make a simple pivot table and column chart. By adding my own axis labels I have exactly what I needed.

If anyone knows of a more efficient way, I'd love to know. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back