How to calculate average speed/pace?

pipps

I have a spreadsheet here which I am using to calculate my intended progress on an ultra-marathon that I am running in two weeks' time.

The distance for each stage is in Column B. In Column C, I first need to state my average pace. Based on the facts below, how should I calculate this?

From the start, I plan on running for 5 miles and then walking for 1 mile. When running, I will be travelling at a pace of 10:00 minutes per mile (min/mi) or 6.0 miles per hour (mph), and when walking I will be travelling at a pace of 15:00 min/mi or 4.0 miles per hour.

On this basis, how should I calculate my total estimated time taken to cover a given 6 miles at this combined pace please? What would be the formula to use?

Please forgive what must seem like a rather basic question, but I am not so numerically gifted as so many here. Thanks

Hey wigi,

Yes, see those comments helped alot. I would have never thought to come at it from that angle. I was so caught up with the fact that his running/walking was a certain way and that the mileage for each section was unable to conform to those variables that I got confused.

Thanks again for your help. I am hoping that the original poster finds that it works for him just as well as the non-VBA version.

later

Ty

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nrc0710

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back