How do I stop vlookup from returning '1/0/1900'?

Galena1

Ok, I know most of you are going to recommend I reformat my cells to accomplish this, but I'm being stubborn.

Here's my vlookup, that is working perfectly, except that it returns '1/0/1900' in some blank cell instances.

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A4,Pivot!$A:$AB,COLUMN()+0,0)),"",IF(VLOOKUP($A4,Pivot!$A:$AB,COLUMN()+0,0)="(blank)","",VLOOKUP($A4,Pivot!$A:$AB,COLUMN()+0,0)))

Isn't there some other formulaic error 'suppression' I can append to it, in order to accomodate this '1/0/1900' condition?

:eeek:

Thanks!

The original formula also converts a VLOOKUP return of "(blank)" to "" so, to retain that and convert blank returns to blank why not just introduce an OR into that part?

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A4,Pivot!$A:$AB,COLUMN()+0,0)),"",IF(OR(VLOOKUP($A4,Pivot!$A:$AB,COLUMN()+0,0)={"(blank)",""}),"",VLOOKUP($A4,Pivot!$A:$AB,COLUMN()+0,0)))

That will return a blank if the return value is blank - if you want any zeroes to also return a blank then you could replace the {"(blank)",""} part with {"(blank)","",0}

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Yo, Barry, why you addin' 0 to COLUMN()?

:)

Upvote 0
When you Vlookup the blanks are read as 0 and in date format field they display as 00/01/1900 (dd/mm/yyyy).

Your formula needs to be (also picking up on some of the others points):

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A4,Pivot!$A:$AB,COLUMN(),0)),"",IF(VLOOKUP($A4,Pivot!$A:$AB,COLUMN(),0)=0,"",VLOOKUP($A4,Pivot!$A:$AB,COLUMN(),0)))

This should stop the dates.

Upvote 0
Yo, Barry, why you addin' 0 to COLUMN()?

:)

I didn't start it, shg......:confused:

I assume the formula was originally using COLUMN()+2 or similar.....not required though.......it's not particularly robust in case of column deletion or insertion, perhaps better to use COLUMNS (without +0)

Upvote 0
Perhaps you can keep your original formula, and just go to

Tools - Options - View
UNcheck "Zero Values"

Upvote 0
One more....:)

If return values are restricted to blanks, text like "(blank)" and dates then this formula would suppress errors like #N/A and also suppress text and blanks, only returning the dates....

=IF(COUNT(VLOOKUP($A4,Pivot!$A:$AB,COLUMN(),0)&""),VLOOKUP($A4,Pivot!$A:$AB,COLUMN(),0),"")

Upvote 0
try

e4 = value to find
C column of values in lookup table
D column of dates in lookup table

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(VLOOKUP(E4,C4:D9,2,0)),VLOOKUP(E4,C4:D9,2,0)="(blank)"),"",VLOOKUP(E4,C4:D9,2,0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back