How do I get the Cents Symbol (and others) in Excel?

Fumblina

I know this is a horrifyingly simple question. (thus my name) But I just can't seem to figure it out.
Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
The Code for ¢ is ALT+0162. You must use the number pad on the Keyboard. You can also custom format your cells, something like

[<1].00¢;$0.00_¢

Upvote 0
OK
You should have a program called "Character Map", Open it

Look for the ¢ sign and copy it. You select it then click on the button that says copy.

Then Go to Excel and just paste it.

Upvote 0
I'm using a different approach to this because, technically, 0.38¢ is not 38 cents, it is $0.0038. And I haven't yet found a way to remove that troublesome decimal symbol and make it appear as simply 38¢
So, I am using the & (aka concatenate) function to combine the 'real value' of 38 cents with a ¢ symbol.
Try this:
Step 1 - In Cell A1 put the ¢ symbol (paste it from Word or use ALT+0162 or 155) as described by others in this post.
Step 2 - In Cell A2 put the number you want to add the cents symbol to. Lets use 0.38. Format the cell as Number with two decimal places.
Step 3 - In Cell A3 enter =A2*100&$A$2
Now the cell in A3 should display 38¢ (without the leading decimal point)!
Caveat: you will not be able to do routine calculations on cell A3.
For example, if you put the following in Cell A4...
=A3*2
...you won't get 0.76 or 76¢, you will get a #VALUE! error because excel can't perform calculations on the text (¢) we added with the &$A$2 trick.
Workaround: I suppose you perform calculations by effectively reversing the concatenation like this.
In cell A4 put...
=LEFT(A3,2)*2&$A$1
...and now you should see 76¢ in cell A4
Note: To get the right number of digits in your cells the way you want them, you may need to format the cells using Format Cells --> Number tab --> Number category.
Good luck!

Upvote 0
I've seen other comments on this and other sites that some value in cents is technically 100ths of a cent. Au contraire, cents is 100ths of a dollar.

In the example, 38 cents is 0.38, not 0.0038. The multiplier in the formula is correct.

Rod

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnhNguyen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back