How do I get my formula to show blank when the data is actually blank, and zero when it's actually zero.

AlenK37

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello. I'm relatively new to excel and been stuck on a formula now for a that I can't seem to figure out. For most of my data, I am using SUMIF's to get the information I need, which works good for about 99% of the data I need. However, it's leaving the zeros blank, but I need it actually show zeros as well when the result is zero. What is the best approach for this? Perhaps other formulas would be better? I'm currently extracting all the data into a table and referencing the data in my formulas.

Here is my current formula I am using: =IF(SUMIFS($D:$D,$A:$A,$AK127)="","",SUMIFS($D:$D,$A:$A,$AK127))

I've tried many variations of this code, but I still keep getting zero's for empty results.

Side note, the data actually shows a "−" symbol when there is no data, not a blank

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated

Attachments

• help.JPG
    help.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 9

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Just to confirm, I want it to remain blank if there is no data, and I want it show zero if the result is actually zero. Both can be true, just not at the same time

Upvote 0
Check out this article. It shows several ways.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but I need some guidance on where to start? For context, I've spent quite a lot of time trying to go through various Google searches and AI before resorting to this forum. Despite everything I tried searching for, I have not gotten the result I need. Maybe I'm not looking for the right thing, which is why I'm here. So any guidance beyond a link reference is much appreciated

Upvote 0
the data actually shows a "−" symbol when there is no data, not a blank
Typically that does not mean no data, it means that a custom number format has been applied to the cell and the 0 has been formatted to show "-".
Click in one of the cells that contains a "-" and show us what is showing in the formula bar.

Upvote 0
SUMIFs wont return "", it returns a number:
Try this:

=IF(SUMIFS($D:$D,$A:$A,$AK127),SUMIFS($D:$D,$A:$A,$AK127),"")

This will show the result if SUMIFS returns a non-zero number (TRUE), otherwise shows ""

Upvote 0
Typically that does not mean no data, it means that a custom number format has been applied to the cell and the 0 has been formatted to show "-".
Click in one of the cells that contains a "-" and show us what is showing in the formula bar.
The screenshot I
Shows : "−"

Upvote 0
SUMIFs wont return "", it returns a number:
Try this:

=IF(SUMIFS($D:$D,$A:$A,$AK127),SUMIFS($D:$D,$A:$A,$AK127),"")

This will show the result if SUMIFS returns a non-zero number (TRUE), otherwise shows ""

Upvote 0
Your screenshot didn't come through.
Are you saying in the formula bar you see a "-" ? How is the data getting there ?
I would have expected it to show either a formula or a 0.

Upvote 0
This is still giving me blank when it should be zero. Maybe SUMIF's wont work for this specific function?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back