Highlighting Cell if Formula is Removed

bionio

Hey guys, I was wondering if there is way (without using VBA) to highlight a cell if the formula within the cell has been deleted.

I am using VLOOKUPS to post data from a separate worksheet but there are cases in which I need to add data manually. So i would like to highlight the cell to remind me.

Could you explain what =GET.CELL(48,A1) does?
GET.CELL( ) is an old Excel 4 macro function. The macro functions were replaced with the VBA programming language but these macro functions are still supported in the newer versions of Excel.

The GET.CELL( ) function returns information about the formatting, location, or contents of a cell.

48 is the index number of the argument that tests the cell to see if it contians a formula. If the cell contains a formula then GET.CELL(48,cell_ref) returns TRUE, otherwise it returns FALSE.

There are 66 index number arguments that return a variety of information about the cell properties.

These macro functions can't be used directly in formulas. That's why we have to create a defined named formula that "wraps around" the macro function.

Newer versions of Excel don't include any documentation or help information about these macro functions. If you want to know more about these functions then you have to download the help files from MS available here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/128185

Related:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2119765&postcount=4

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back