Hiding columns and sheets based on combo-box values

PatrickW

Hi, all

As a VBA incompetent, I'm butting up against problems that I can see a logical solution to, but that I have no idea how to code, and I would very much appreciate assistance if possible.

I have an activeX combo-box that selects from different pieces of equipment that we supply. Based on that selection, I require ranges from the same page that the combo-box is on to either hide or unhide. Also, I require different tabs to become visible or hidden based on that same selection. So far so good - I have code that does this, and it appears to work without glitch.

Where the problem arises, is in one of the ranges that is unhidden when a particular piece of equipment is selected there is another combo-box that I would like to use (the number of said pieces of equipment to supply) to further hide/unhide additional ranges on the same page, and also hide/unhide certain tabs as well.

When I make a selection from combo-box 1, all works as planned, but when I change the state of combo-box 2, even with no associated coding referring to it, I cannot change combo-box 1 again without getting Error 1004 "Unable to get the Hidden property of the range class".

None of the sheets in the workbook are protected.

I would sincerely appreciate any help/code that could circumvent this error.

Regards

PatrickW

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Does anyone have any possible solutions, please?

I've gone through many of the partly-related posts, but can't seem to find anything that addresses this problem.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Anyone have any insights into this problem? Is more information required?

I'd really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Upvote 0
We need to see your code to give you any suggestion.

I suspect, "Select/Activate", is giving you a hard time...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok - sure thing.

Herewith the code used for the first combo box, that I received from a friend, that seems to work just fine at the moment.

[face=Courier New]Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()

Dim aWks As Worksheet, s As Shape, Alwayshidden As Range
Set Alwayshidden = Range("X:AA") ' Define the range to be permanently hidden
For Each aWks In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
If aWks.Name <> ComboBox1.Parent.Name Then ' don't hide the sheet with the combo box
If InStr(1, aWks.Name, ComboBox1.List(ComboBox1.ListIndex)) Then
aWks.Visible = xlSheetVisible
Else
aWks.Visible = xlSheetHidden
End If
End If
Next aWks
Select Case ComboBox1.Text

Case "Thickener"
Dim rngThickener As Range
Set rngThickener = Range("I:L, R:BE")

Columns.Hidden = False
rngThickener.EntireColumn.Hidden = True

Alwayshidden.EntireColumn.Hidden = True ' Hide the data validation selection columns

For Each s In ActiveSheet.Shapes
If Left(s.Name, 8) = "CheckBox" Then
With ActiveSheet.OLEObjects(s.Name)
If rngThickener.EntireColumn.Hidden = False Then
.Visible = True
Else
.Visible = False
End If
End With
End If
Next s
End Select
End Sub[/face]

The problem then arises because I have another combo-box, that is in one of the ranges that is unhidden based on the selection of combo-box. Even though there is no code yet associated with this second combo box, when I change its values (from the default to "1" or "2" based on the list fill range) I cannot change combo-box 1 again, without getting error 1004.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I had attempted to code something in the same vein as for what's written for combobox1, but it's horrible code - brute force coding.

I'll show you what I've got below: what I'm trying to achieve here is for data sheets in certain columns, on the same sheet as combobox 1 and 2, to unhide based on the number of units selected in combobox 2, as well as the required certain costing sheet tabs to unhide based on combobox 2.

All seems to work ok (although I'd love to see the elegant concise code to replace this that I know is out there, somewhere) until I change the value in combobox 1 again, once I've changed combobox 2.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> ComboBox2_Change()<br>****<br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> bWks <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet, s <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Shape, Alwayshidden <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>********<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> Alwayshidden = Range("i:l, X:AA")****** <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Define the range to be permanently hidden</SPAN><br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> bWks <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> ThisWorkbook.Worksheets<br>********<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> bWks.Name <> ComboBox1.Parent.Name <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>**<SPAN style="color:#007F00">' don't hide the sheet with the combo box</SPAN><br>************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> InStr(1, bWks.Name, "Thicknr") <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>****************bWks.Visible = xlSheetVisible<br>************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>****************bWks.Visible = xlSheetHidden<br>************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>********<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> bWks<br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> ComboBox2.Text<br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'**** Case "1" through "3" are as below, but with successively less nested if loops</SPAN><br><br>****** <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> "4"<br>************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rngThickener4 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rngThickener4 = Range("AN:BF")<br>************<br>************Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>************************<br>************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> bWks <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> ThisWorkbook.Worksheets<br>****************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> bWks.Name <> ComboBox1.Parent.Name <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>**<SPAN style="color:#007F00">' don't hide the sheet with the combo box</SPAN><br>********************<br>********************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> bWks.Name <> "Thicknr_1_Costing" <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>************************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> bWks.Name <> "Thicknr_2_Costing" <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>****************************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> bWks.Name <> "Thicknr_3_Costing" <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>********************************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> bWks.Name <> "Thicknr_4_Costing" <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>********************************bWks.Visible = xlSheetHidden<br>********************************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>********************************bWks.Visible = xlSheetVisible<br>********************************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>****************************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>****************************bWks.Visible = xlSheetVisible<br>****************************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>************************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>************************bWks.Visible = xlSheetVisible<br>************************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>********************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>********************bWks.Visible = xlSheetVisible<br>********************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>****************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> bWks<br>************<br>************Columns.Hidden = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>************rngThickener4.EntireColumn.Hidden = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>************Alwayshidden.EntireColumn.Hidden = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Hide the data validation selection columns</SPAN><br>************Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><br>********<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>******** <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rngThickenerBlank <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rngThickenerBlank = Range("R:BF")<br>******************<br>************Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> bWks <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> ThisWorkbook.Worksheets<br>****************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> bWks.Name <> ComboBox1.Parent.Name <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>**<SPAN style="color:#007F00">' don't hide the sheet with the combo box</SPAN><br>********************<br>********************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> InStr(1, bWks.Name, "Thicknr_1") <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>************************bWks.Visible = xlSheetVisible<br>************************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>************************bWks.Visible = xlSheetHidden<br>********************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>****************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>************<br>************<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> bWks<br>************<br>************Columns.Hidden = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>************rngThickenerBlank.EntireColumn.Hidden = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>************Alwayshidden.EntireColumn.Hidden = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Hide the data validation selection columns</SPAN><br>************Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>************<br>********<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN><br>********<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Horrible - I know. Any suggestions on how to improve this (be kind, please!), as well as removing the Error 1004 I get in the situation described above?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Can you just delete all the "*" as well as your comments in the code and specify the line that you have problem ?

Upvote 0
Sorry about the *s - they didn't appear when I previewed my post. The problems occur in the ComboBox1_Change subroutine once box 2 has been changed, and I try and change box 1 again.

Oh, good grief. This is so embarrassing - I can't replicate the error. I've had it consistently for the last 2 days, and I've not done anything other than copy and paste it here, and now it works.

I'm really sorry for having wasted your time on this.

For your information, the lines that gave errors were:

Columns.Hidden = False

and this error just moved progressively lower in the code to everything else that referred to the .Hidden property, saying "Unable to get the hidden property of the range class."

Is there anything else you could suggest to clean up that horrible code? The sheets to be hidden/unhidden by combobox2 are named incrementally as "Thicknr_1_Costing", ...2_Costing and so on.

Thanks, and apologies.

Upvote 0
OK

Just a couple of points
1) since your ComboBox is on the worksheet so ComboBox1.Parent.Name can be replaced with Me.Name

2) Try Select Case statement instead of long nested If statement

Rich (BB code):
Select Case bWks.Name 
  Case "Thicknr_1_Costing","Thicknr_2_Costing","Thicknr_3_Costing","Thicknr_4_Costing"
Then
      bWks.Visible = xlSheetHidden
  Case Else
      bWks.Visible = xlSheetVisible
End Select

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back