help!!!!!

mswantek

Board Regular
First, I have gotten much great advise from the excel portion of this site, Now I am progressing to Access. My problem is this:

I have created a VBA driven form that workflows to different people to collect data. Up until now I have stored all the info into a different excel form to be used as my database. This "database" is opened, written to , and closed within the vba code without the user knowing it. I should mention too that the files are being used over a network at work. The problem I am facing now is that the "database"(excel ) is on a drive that the user needs to have acess to in order to write to it within the vba code. Is there a way that MS Access could be used to overcome this? I am new to Access and want to know if it is worth persuing.

I've got a couple questions about both this project and Developers Editions' capabilities.

I was working on my own Excel/Access project with the goal of not needing 20+ Access licenses but had thought that perhaps a copy of O2KDevelopers Edition might provide a better method -- But, I wasn't 100% certain that it would allow me to do things like create runtime versions of Access.

I would really appreciate if somebody could point me at a summary of the really cool/useful development features, post it here, or send me an email with some details (mike_nospam_milner@csx.com --- remove nospam_)

My project is unfinished and I'm really making myself learn the Excel object model as I go along (probably would have been done by now if I had the easy option of putting it all in Access).

My plan (talking out loud for comments) so far is to run three sheets in an xls. First is dataentry with a button that passes data to a 2nd sheet. 2nd sheet uses ADO to push data up to Access (could be multiple lines - 2nd sheet is a mini database). Third sheet was intended to receive query results (Data-Get External Data-Run Saved Query --- aka SQL) -- and I was going to use fields in the first 'form' (not userform) as search criteria - then use buttons to move through the results on the first sheet (the only sheet the users would get to see)

While I was typing all this out, I was thinking, there has to be a better way. If Excel can import via SQL, shouldn't it be able to export a range via SQL? And if I'm wanting to have next/previous buttons, perhaps I should go after a userform after all.

A runtime version of Access is looking better and better every day.

I appreciate any thoughts (after partially hijacking this thread albeit with a related question)

Mike

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Mike ,

Don't feel you have hijacked the post. I am interested in the same issue. Multiple users, etc. It just nice to know I am not the only one looking for this info.. If someone does send you the info please pass it along to me C.O. mswantek@wideopenwest.com Thanks and good luck.

Mike

Upvote 0
Mike and Mike

Did you ever settle on a solution? I have a similar problem... I need to capture data from a group of about 60 people who do not have Access and load the data to an Access database that around 10 people use. Would be interested to know what you came up with.

Upvote 0
Guys,

(EDIT: Per my first response, I looked further and found that-->) There is a way to compile an Access user form into a stand alone application that is linked to a master database. Our IS department uses one for IS requests and it does not require independant Access licenses.

I'll check with the head of IS on Monday and see how she did it.

I don't think that it required the Developer's edition.

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugubara

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back