Help with formula to tabulate data in stacked form

Fractalis

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I have the below text in column A that has data with pairs of parameter,value in stacked way and separated with " = ". For this I'm trying to have a formula to tabulate it
in order to extract some parameters of each block and put them in each line.

In B2 I have this formula so far "=MID(INDEX($A$1:$A$79,MATCH("*"&B$1&"*",$A$1:$A$79,0)),16,10)" but when I copy accross and down, only
shows the data of first block.

How to tabulate the values of parameters ID,NAME,TYPE,RSGSN?

The output I'm trying to get is from column B to E.

Thanks in advance

file.xlsx
ABCDE
1IDNAMETYPERSGSN
2some text some text0INV445ECT18560
3some text0INV445ECT6103
4some text some text0INV445ECT8180
5some text some text2MODULE18HSSD2962
62MODULE18HSSD13603
7 RSN = 12MODULE18HSSD764
8 ID = 02MODULE18HSSD6200
9 NAME = INV445
10 TYPE = ECT
11 AMDEF = STR
12 RSGSN = 18560
13 AMRUL = TOMIZ
14 RREST = 0
15 PERAR = FALSE
16 ERANN = FALSE
17 RANNO = FALSE
19 RSGSN = 6103
20 AMRUL = TOMIZ
21 RREST = 0
22 PERAR = FALSE
23 ERANN = FALSE
24 RANNO = FALSE
26 RSGSN = 8180
27 AMRUL = TOMIZ
28 RREST = 0
29 PERAR = FALSE
30 ERANN = FALSE
31 RANNO = FALSE
33some text some text
35some text some text
37--- END
38some text some text
40some text some text
41some text some text
42some text some text
43some text some text
45 RSN = 1
46 ID = 2
47 NAME = MODULE18
48 TYPE = HSSD
49 AMDEF =SSN
50 RSGSN = 2962
51 AMRUL = STR
52 PERAR = FALSE
53 ERANN = FALSE
54 RANNO = FALSE
56 RSGSN = 13603
57 AMRUL = STR
58 PERAR = FALSE
59 ERANN = FALSE
60 RANNO = FALSE
62 RSGSN = 764
63 AMRUL = TOMIZ
64 RREST = 0
65 PERAR = FALSE
66 ERANN = FALSE
67 RANNO = FALSE
69 RSGSN = 6200
70 AMRUL = TOMIZ
71 RREST = 0
72 PERAR = FALSE
73 ERANN = FALSE
74 RANNO = FALSE
76some text some text
78some text some text
80--- END
Sheet1

I ended up writing the macro, and it really did take less time than the formulas. If you'd like to try it:
Thanks so much @Eric W

I was writing my explaining about the structure when I saw your already answered with a vba solution hehe.

This time it seems to work pretty nice. Sometimes is better VBA hehe and I've selected your VBA solution as the final solution.

Thanks again for support and time to help others. :)

Minor change to the formula. Try this.
Thanks so mjuch @Cubist. It works with sample input, but I need to made some changes to the actual input but currently is showing correctly the RSGSN values in actual data. Is up to me now, thanks so much for the help ans time.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I noticed a minor glitch in my macro (it might miss the last few lines of the input), so I went back and fixed that. While I was at it, I updated the macro to display either the Normal Output or the extended output. The macro is actually shorter, but it relies on every sub range having at least 1 of every type of field, and RSGSN must be last. If you want to try it:

VBA Code:
Sub GetData()
Dim InputCell As Range, OutputCell As Range, MyTab As Variant, variables As Variant
Dim i As Long, j As Long, res() As String, loc As Long, w As String, r As Long, NormalOutput As Boolean

Set InputCell = Sheets("Sheet9").Range("A2")            ' Where does the text data start
    Set OutputCell = Sheets("Sheet9").Range("M1")           ' Where do you want the results?
    variables = Array("ID", "NAME", "TYPE", "RSGSN")        ' What values are you looking for?
    NormalOutput = False                                    ' Set to True or False

ReDim res(1 To 1, 0 To UBound(variables))               ' Set the output array
    OutputCell.Resize(, 4) = variables                      ' Set the values as headers
    MyTab = Range(InputCell, InputCell.Offset(1000000).End(xlUp)).Value ' Get the input table

Application.ScreenUpdating = False                      ' Stop updating until we finish
    r = 1                                                   ' Set the first output row (as an offset)
    For i = 1 To UBound(MyTab)                              ' check each row in the input table
        w = WorksheetFunction.Trim(MyTab(i, 1))             ' remove excess spaces
        For j = 0 To UBound(variables)                      ' check to see if any of the values are found
            loc = InStr(1, w, variables(j) & " =", vbTextCompare)        ' where does the value start?
            If loc > 0 Then                                              ' Did we find one?
                res(1, j) = Trim(Mid(w, loc + Len(variables(j)) + 2))    ' save the found value
                If j = UBound(variables) Then                            ' always print when we find RSGSN
                    OutputCell.Offset(r).Resize(, UBound(res, 2) + 1).Value = res
                    r = r + 1
                    If NormalOutput = True Then ReDim res(1 To 1, 0 To UBound(variables))
                End If
                Exit For                                                 ' exit the loop
            End If
        Next j

Next i
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True                       ' Resume updating

End Sub

Anyway, glad we could help!

Upvote 1
Solution
I noticed a minor glitch in my macro (it might miss the last few lines of the input), so I went back and fixed that. While I was at it, I updated the macro to display either the Normal Output or the extended output. The macro is actually shorter, but it relies on every sub range having at least 1 of every type of field, and RSGSN must be last. If you want to try it:

Anyway, glad we could help!
Thanks one more time Eric. I've tried your last macro but is only printing headers. Does it work for you?

Upvote 0
It does, I get these 2 results from the initial test data:

Book1
MNOP
1IDNAMETYPERSGSN
20INV445ECT18560
52MODULE18HSSD2962
Sheet9

Book1
MNOP
1IDNAMETYPERSGSN
20INV445ECT18560
30INV445ECT6103
40INV445ECT8180
52MODULE18HSSD2962
62MODULE18HSSD13603
72MODULE18HSSD764
82MODULE18HSSD6200
Sheet9

The only difference being the True/False flag. The logic I tweaked based on your explanation in post 10. It still works on my test data, but apparently not on a larger sample. If you want me to fix it, I'll need a sample of what you're seeing. If you're happy with the first macro, that's fine too.

Upvote 0
It does, I get these 2 results from the initial test data:

The only difference being the True/False flag. The logic I tweaked based on your explanation in post 10. It still works on my test data, but apparently not on a larger sample. If you want me to fix it, I'll need a sample of what you're seeing. If you're happy with the first macro, that's fine too.
My bad, I think it was because of the sheet's name I was trying on. I changed "Sheet9" to activesheet and it works for me now. That option of select normal output or not is awesome. Thanks so much for all you help in this question I did. Best regards man

PS: Who is the man in your profile's photo? hehe

Upvote 0
Glad you got it figured out!

The picture is Harold Lloyd, one of the greats from the silent movie era. Over a hundred years later, and people are STILL copying his stunts! Check out his film "Safety Last" if you get a chance.

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samue Thon Ajaladin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back