Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I have this formula:
1721745565173.png

Formula: =IF(J4=""; IF(I4>P4; "G4 grant bigger than Total grant (IA) by " & TEXT(ROUND(I4-P4; 2); "0.00") & " DKK"; ""); IF(J4>P4; "G5 grant bigger than Total grant (IA) by " & TEXT(ROUND(J4-P4; 2); "0.00") & " DKK"; ""))

I want to expand it, so that it looks my TPC in column H (cell H4) if cell I4 is blank, in G4 is cell H4 is blank and in cell F4 if G4 is blank. I want it to make the same calculation and say for example if H4 > P4, "G3 grant bigger than Total grant (IA) by " & TEXT(ROUND(H4-P4; 2);"0.00") & "DKK";"").

I tried to expand the formula myself, and I have been able to do it for J4 and I4, but it keeps bugging now and telling me that I am missing a parenthesis or something, and even when I add it, it just repeats the same error over and over.

I have tried for an hour now, but am unable to make the formula function. Do we have any hidden excel geniuses here that may be able to either edit it or give me a better formula? Would be much appreciated!!! :)

Ok so what was your post #6 about?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Ok so what was your post #6 about?
oh that was regarding the other guy who had made a new formula in an attempt to assist me, but unfortunately, when I copy pasted his formula to replace my own, it did not work as it simply said "total grant is bigger than", where it should leave a blank cell for row 4 and it should only return a statement in row 9, where the columns for G0-G5 has a higher number

Upvote 0
So just change the last part of the formula to “”

Upvote 0
oh that was regarding the other guy who had made a new formula in an attempt to assist me, but unfortunately, when I copy pasted his formula to replace my own, it did not work as it simply said "total grant is bigger than", where it should leave a blank cell for row 4 and it should only return a statement in row 9, where the G column has a higher number

So just change the last part of the formula to “”
Hi Rory,

This actually worked, thank you so much!

However, I am facing the issue that if my G2 for example is loewr than the total grant, but my G1 is higher, it ignores the condition in which it should not be looking at the G1, if the G2 has data (see below):

1721975019687.png

Formula is:
=IF(INDEX(F4:J4;1;MATCH(MAX(F4:J4);F4:J4))>P4;
RIGHT(INDEX(F3:J3;1;MATCH(MAX(F4:J4);F4:J4));2) & " grant is bigger than total grant (IA) by " & INDEX(F4:J4;1;MATCH(MAX(F4:J4);F4:J4))-P4 & " DKK";
"")

Do you know how to fix the formula?

Upvote 0
Since you have 365:

Excel Formula:
=LET(mpos;MATCH(1E100;F4:J4);
mval;INDEX(F4:J4;mpos);
IF(mval>P4;
RIGHT(INDEX(F3:J3;mpos);2) & " grant is bigger than total grant (IA) by " & mval-P4 & " DKK";
""))

Upvote 0
Hum, maybe it is due to new office 365 array formulas. Try this new "let" function instead, much cleaner but same principle.
Excel Formula:
=LET(maxVal;MAX(F4:I4);colIndex;MATCH(maxVal;F4:I4);rowName;RIGHT(INDEX($F$3:$I$3;1;colIndex);2);
IF(maxVal>T4;
rowName & " grant is bigger than total grant (IA) by ";
"total grant is bigger by ") & TEXT(ABS(maxVal-T4);"# ##") & " DDK")

Upvote 0
Hum, maybe it is due to new office 365 array formulas. Try this new "let" function instead, much cleaner but same principle.
Excel Formula:
=LET(maxVal;MAX(F4:I4);colIndex;MATCH(maxVal;F4:I4);rowName;RIGHT(INDEX($F$3:$I$3;1;colIndex);2);
IF(maxVal>T4;
"total grant is bigger by ") & TEXT(ABS(maxVal-T4);"# ##") & " DDK")
Thanks to RoryA feedback, i remark it should be
Excel Formula:
=LET(maxVal;MAX(F4:I4);colIndex;MATCH(maxVal;F4:I4;0);rowName;RIGHT(INDEX($F$3:$I$3;1;colIndex);2);
IF(maxVal>T4;
"total grant is bigger by ") & TEXT(ABS(maxVal-T4);"0") & " DDK")
As match needs to be exact.

Upvote 0
You are still looking up the largest value, and that is not what is wanted. The formula needs to use the last value in the row, which may not be the largest.

Upvote 0
Oh nevermind i misunderstood the OP. Then all my messages should be ignored/deleted.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back