Guidance for some challenging (for me at least) data entry

HomerJ

Board Regular
Greetings and thank you for taking a moment to look at my problem in hopes of offering assistance.

My challenge is this. In my position, I collect receipts and cash/checks that are taken in for a variety of permits and fees. What makes this tricky for me are a number of questions I need to answer so I can take the correct approach. I currently do this in Excel with some extensive code that I was able to Frankenstein together with a variety of case statements and input boxes. If it would be helpful to see an example of my Excel sheet and code, please let me know.

First, the fees collected for any given permit/fee go into from 1-3 different account codes. If all the fees were fixed numbers, I could do this with a query and unique codes. However some of the fees are variable. For example, a building permit fee is based on a number of factors that are calculated by the folks who actually take in the money. Currently I just enter the variable amount from the receipt into an input box. Fortunately, none of the fees that are split out to more than one code require any input of the dollar amount.

There is one other thing that I have to take into account on a couple of the codes that do get split out. There are a couple of permits that have set base fees, plus a per lot fee that adds a set amount per lot to 2 of the 3 account codes in the split.

So as you can see I have a bit to try to get my brain around. Some fees I have to enter manually, while others have a per lot fee. The rest are fixed amounts that would be reasonably easy to work with on their own. I've learned a great deal about Access lately, but am still a mere neophyte trying to stretch my limits.

Any guidance to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

If more info is needed or if I have been as clear as mud, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
That may be true, but if you're trying to walk through a solid wall it makes it a whole lot easier when someone points out the door right next to you.

:LOL:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DylantheD

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back