Gridlines Missing from Screenshots

Jerry

I'm not sure what is causing that.

What browser are you using?
What setting do you have in UserCP|Edit Options|Message Editor Interface?

Thank you for your reply Peter.

My browser is Internet Explorer 8.0
My OS is Windows XP v5.1 SP3
My Message Editor Interface was set to: Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG

Based on your reply, I tried all 3 Message Editor Interface options in the Test Here forum
and found when using:
  • Basic Editor - A simple text Box; or
  • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls
...the blank space is replaced with an asterisk, and the gridlines appear normally.

The Preview Post doesn't show asterisks, so I'm guessing that the vBulletin software adds the
asterisks after I click "Submit Reply"

I pasted the same string into the Message Editor with each test, so it looks like this isn't an issue with Excel Jeanie or HTML Maker.

Peter, Thanks as always for pointing me in the right direction.
I don't mind using the Standard Editor and I can live with the asterisks.

Jerry

I normally use the 'Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls'.

In relation to the asterisks, they only appear if you preview or edit your post. In most cases I don't preview my posts but if you do, after you have previewed, just select the Excel jeanie HTML code and paste over it again since it will most likely still be on your clipboard. If it isn't still on the clipboard it only takes a few seconds to re-created from your worksheet.

I haven't really tested, but re-pasting (or not previewing) may also solve the problem if you want to continue using the Enhanced Interface option.

Peter,

That's the secret!
I did some more testing and found that Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG
will post with the gridlines provided you don't Preview or Edit after posting.

It also works as desired if you edit after posting and repaste the image.

So now I want to know what is your secret for being able to post without previewing? ;)
I typically find 5 typos when I preview, 5 more typos when I post and another 5 the next day when I get a reply.

Thanks again for your help!

So now I want to know what is your secret for being able to post without previewing? ;)
I typically find 5 typos when I preview, 5 more typos when I post and another 5 the next day when I get a reply.
I just edit 15 times instead. :biggrin:

When posting screenshots using Excel Jeanie or HTML Maker, the gridlines or borders sometimes don't display around blank cells.

It looks like others are posting without this problem.
Will someone please share the secret? ;)

Attempt using gridlines:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560938

Attempt using borders:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562184

Thanks!
I get the same thing using the Excel Jeanie add-in.

The exhibit gets hard to read when those borders/gridlines are removed.

What I do to "fix" it is I fill any empty cells with white underscore so that they can't be seen.

If a poster copies the exhibit they'll get all those underscores.

Biff

Do you get the same problem if you post without previewing, or if you re-paste the HTML code after previewing but before submitting, per the comments in posts #4 & #5?

I get the same thing using the Excel Jeanie add-in.

The exhibit gets hard to read when those borders/gridlines are removed.

What I do to "fix" it is I fill any empty cells with white underscore so that they can't be seen.

If a poster copies the exhibit they'll get all those underscores.

A space *should* do the same thing. It's a display issue with browsers and blank table cells. Put anything in the cell and it displays correctly (bordes etc) -- leave it blank and you may get the osrt of problems you mention.
I have built a few table makers for HTML and tend to script the insertion of a non-breaking space character hwerever I find a blank cell.

Denis

Biff

Do you get the same problem if you post without previewing, or if you re-paste the HTML code after previewing but before submitting, per the comments in posts #4 & #5?
I never preview! :eek: (maybe I should! :))

I noticed the problem whenever someone quoted a post with the exhibit that contained empty cells and when I had to edit my own post that contained an exhibit.

I didn't try to change any settings in my control panel. For me, it's easy to just fill the cells with some character (I have a macro attached to a toolbar button that does it (Excel 2002)).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugubara

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back