Golf Handicap Formula help

Gulfcourse

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I took over the league this year and was given a CD for a golf program that worked with Windows Caveman so I decided to create my own since it is such a small league of old guys!
To establish a handicap for this season I manually enterd 5 scores in Columns I through N, in every row, to get a handicap to reflect the one they finished with last season.
I have been entering their scores twice a week since April and am currently in Column BB.
Not everyone plays every time so there are gaps in some players rows.

I have had a working formula to take the last 5 scores to establish the golfers handicap but it has gone wonky on me.
The formula listed below is in column CA5 through CA28.
The number from Column CA is returned to the corresponding player in Column D and then the other simple formulas, in Columns D, E, & F kick in to figure the handicap.
The problem is the totals in Column CA were no longer consistent, some were only totaling up the last 4 scores instead of 5.
The original formula is:
=IFERROR(SUM(OFFSET($H10,0,LARGE(IF(I10:BY10<>"",COLUMN(I10:BY10))-8,$BZ$3),1,(45-LARGE(IF(I10:BY10<>"",COLUMN(I10:BY10))-8,$BZ$3)))),"NOT ENOUGH")

but for some rows it is only counting the last 4 and I've had to go to those rows and change the -8's in the formula to 9's or 10's to get 5 scores and I have no idea why.

The players are in the rows and the course scores are in the columns.
I have a drop down to pick a value in BZ3 and leave it at 5, this enables me to change the number of scores I want to use but I have not changed it from 5.

Some folks have more rounds than others but I don't think that's the problem since, for example, Petro was correct in CA22 and one row down Roderick CA23 was incorrect until I changed Roderick's 8's to 9's.
The formula (the original) in for Petro that returns 5 is
=IFERROR(SUM(OFFSET($H22,0,LARGE(IF(I22:BY22<>"",COLUMN(I22:BY22))-8,$BZ$3),1,(45-LARGE(IF(I22:BY22<>"",COLUMN(I22:BY22))-8,$BZ$3)))),"NOT ENOUGH")

The formula I had to change to get 5 scores for Roderick is:
=IFERROR(SUM(OFFSET($H23,0,LARGE(IF(I23:BY23<>"",COLUMN(I23:BY23))-9,$BZ$3),1,(45-LARGE(IF(I23:BY23<>"",COLUMN(I23:BY23))-9,$BZ$3)))),"NOT ENOUGH")

I don't want to have to constanly change the formulas so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• ScreenshotGolf1.jpg
    ScreenshotGolf1.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 2
  • ScreenshotGolf2.jpg
    ScreenshotGolf2.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 2
I pasted =ISNUMBER(BC5) into BD9 and it returned TRUE.
Thanks.

I think that I didn't make the other part clear enough though. When I said use =ISTEXT(BY5) I did not mean to put that formula in BY5, just point it at BY5.
So put it in say BY1 or some other empty cell.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
And a possible fault of mine as well might be;
I manually entered the scores in I3:K28 and then started to PASTE VALUES in from another page in workbook, perhaps that's where the circular reference was coming from?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aexis48d

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back