formulae vs. formula??

I suspect for the same reason that I would not refer to an American Call Option as 'the right to buy an asset at a fixed price from the time of purchase through the maturity date of that right (or the expiration date of that right).' It's not the technical term, it's a description.

Are you upset that you don't know every technical term in every field of practice? Or all languages, including Latin?

Like learning VB, it's in part a matter of practice and retention.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
It really doesn't bother me that i dont know the technical meaning for these 'descriptive' words as you say. I would just like for scientists, doctors, etc. to respect the fact that people dont know the proper words and would like to have a simplier or more basic explanation of what they are talking about. The same goes for animals, you said in that last post that you wouldn't call the American Call Option as 'the right to buy an asset at a fixed price from the time of purchase through the maturity date of that right (or the expiration date of that right).' because it is a descriptive thing not a name for it. Well what about animals then, lions, tigers, cheeters, etc. They all have scientific names, but they dont need them they have names already. And like in Pilonidal Sinus, pilonidal comes from the latin word pilus (meaning hair) and nidus (meaning nest). isn't that still a way to describe what it is, its not a name its more of a description in a different language.

tails said:
I would just like for scientists, doctors, etc. to respect the fact that people dont know the proper words and would like to have a simplier or more basic explanation of what they are talking about.
As an IT Administrator/programmer do you never use technical jargon which is specific to the IT world? and if so why do you apply different standards to other professions? Furthermore why should English be dumbed down just because some people can't or won't be bothered to make the correct use of it?

In fairness to doctors, scientists, etc, most probably try to "dumb it down" to a certain degree when they are addressing the layman. But when you think about it Tails, there are probably different types of ingrowing nasal hair problems, so, to a medical professional, "Pilonidal Sinus" hits the right spot and helps the doctor understand precisely what the problem is (if, indeed, a person with a Pilonidal Sinus needs a doctor!).

There is a book by Michael Behe called Darwin´s Black Box. He apologises in advance for the extremely technical language he uses and the detail he goes into, but explains that the proof of his argument is in the detail and so he needs to use it.

So there is a need for good language use. It´s not just Show.

But I also agree that some people highlight the linguistic errors of others not to educate, but to humiliate. When that is the case, it´s nothing more than intellectual bullying.

Fergus said:
tails said:
I would just like for scientists, doctors, etc. to respect the fact that people dont know the proper words and would like to have a simplier or more basic explanation of what they are talking about.
As an IT Administrator/programmer do you never use technical jargon which is specific to the IT world? and if so why do you apply different standards to other professions? Furthermore why should English be dumbed down just because some people can't or won't be bothered to make the correct use of it?

I dont use jargon when i am talking to clients/users and friends. I find there to be no need to do so i dont use technical language when telling them what is wrong with it. When i am talking to other administrators i use technical language in little bits. Even when talking to someone who is an it administrator i still use common language. Lets just put it this way fergus, if you had a problem with your computer what would be the point in me telling you that you had an error 83 or something like that, although i may know what it is, i still wouldn't say it because i know that the user would not understand me. Therefore i use a more common language to explain problems with their computer so that they can understand, take in, and know what will have to be done.

Hello again,

tails said:
I dont use jargon when i am talking to clients/users and friends. I find there to be no need to do so i dont use technical language when telling them what is wrong with it.
With all due respect, I find it difficult to believe that this can be true in every case.

I know that I simply cannot avoid it. If I'm troubleshooting a MS Query issue, it's simply a matter of time before the terms ODBC and SQL part from my mouth, irrespective as to whether whomever knows what I'm talking about.

Another example: I remember talking to my friend about breaking down digital images into a byte array one day; it became apparent that he had no clue what I was talking about. And, while I tried to explain it to him, I still had to use the correct terms.

I guess if you're looking to get some frustration of your chest, you have my condolences. Because I do agree, for better or worse, technical terminology is not necessarily based on plain English as you know it.

You may find it hard to believe, but the courses that i have been doing, we have been constantly taught to not use technical language when talking to clients etc. There may have been a couple of times (i cant remember any) where i may have used some technical language when talking to people that dont know as much about computers. but everyone i've spoke to has understood what i'm talking about. I really cant recall any one time where the person i have been talking to has not understood what i have told them. but then again i haven't been in the computer industry as long as some of you have, i've only been in it for about 3-4 years. So maybe as a result of being taught right from the start not to use technical language it has allowed me to speak to people without confusion.

Quote from Seinfeld:

"Whats email?"

Who remembers when they first heard that piece of Jargon?

I really cant recall any one time where the person i have been talking to has not understood what i have told them.

As a teacher, I can assure you that you can not possibly know for sure that others understand you, technical jargon or not. Nodding, smiling, and yesing do not provide proof of understanding.

I find it best to use the correct terminology, but explain terms that may not understand, and then reinforce the idea with an anology and or example. How else are others to learn? There are many times, when the subtleties of a problem require the precision that only a technical term can provide.

Besides, haven't you ever felt patronized by someone who avoided using the necessary terminology?

You say that you use the jargon to allow people to learn more of what you are speaking of, but you do not realise that they have been employed to do what they are good at, not to know what you are good at. Im guessing you are a teacher from you title/name so it could be a different situation. You are trying to teach people the technical jargon required for them to learn, but where i am i am employed to fix and maintain the network system. i haven't been employed to teach others how to do it, or what means what. So different situations require different methods, but where i am, i try to use the simpliest words and descriptions so that the users can understand what is wrong or what requires fixing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MHagag

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back