formulae vs. formula??

It's a Yorkshire thing. They're a bit odd but mostly okay.

None of youz lot speak proper English! :stickouttounge:

Musta been 'bout fourteen years ago now... I spent an hour seated at the kitchen table of a Yorkshire farmer and a chap from my company's UK subsidiary who was from Newcastle upon Tyne. In the course of that hour I don't reckon I followed more'n 10%, maybe 15% of what that Yorkshireman said. Try as I may, my ears just never could get the knack of that ol' boy's accent and cadence.

Oh, and I always reckoned that it was "formulers" as in "weeeellll doggies, if'n them ain't jus' a right purdy bunch o' formulers right dere".

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Welll, I'm here to plead guilty to using formulae.
I think it may have something to do with age, in my primary school it was 4 of the best for the incorrect use of grammer and punctuation.
Having seen many a summer, both of them have slipped dramatically, but some things stick forever.
Having spent a few years teaching adults, "beginner computing", I found the use of "big" words made them ask questions like "what does that mean ?", ergo, they improved both their computer knowledge and their knowledge of terminology, AND something new !!
and finally
Tails, the lounge threads can be a little intimidating when the posts get warmed....but I can assure you everyone here will throw barbs at each other in jest....and to wind each other up as much as possible...just to keep the thread going....!!!

Cheers from the bush !!

I haven't read all of the 92 posts before this, but i don't see anyone pointing out to the OP that the question really isn't formulae vs formula. It's formulae vs formulas. Everybody uses formula (unless they were exclusively breast-fed).

Interesting that someone said that formulae sounds too latin to use, even though it's correct.

I've noticed in my work a tendancy to use 'myself' instead of 'me', as in "He will report into myself", particularly from Directors and Managers because they think that it sounds better. It really winds me up.

I hate it when people use 'I' instead of 'me' in phrases like "He came with Bob and I". And 'could of'. And 'mute point'. Thinking about it, I may be a bit of a pedant...

We also use the word colleague here, instead of staff. It's mostly misused, as in a "colleague discount".

"thy rod and thy colleague, they comfort me"... ;)

Bloodly 'ell, this is verbose thread, like a long Seinfeld episode.

Edit: Can't believe I read it all.:roll:

Rory
Maybe more Curmudgeon than Pedant.

A modest proposal: we call these buggers a "recipe", and circumlocute the problem. For example: Enter the following recipae in Cells A1 and A2 ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xel003

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back