Finding similar names in a list of employees

bugsly

Hi all,

I have a list of 7000 employees and am trying to find any names that are similar to each other. I tried leveraging VLOOKUP however I can only find an exact match using this method. I also tried downloading the Fuzzy Look Up add in however I get an error about not have access to a registry when trying to use it. Does anyone know of a formula to accomplish this? I was thinking of using wildcards but am not good with figuring out excel formulas :eeek:. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks everyone!

That is clearer to me now, thanks.

I'm not sure if I can help with the question. I'll give it some more thought, though.

On a different tack. One thing that seems obvious but I guess isn't simple or it would be in place already, is have employees (or delegates making the arrangements) give the employee's unique ID as well as name when making bookings.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
That is clearer to me now, thanks.

I'm not sure if I can help with the question. I'll give it some more thought, though.

On a different tack. One thing that seems obvious but I guess isn't simple or it would be in place already, is have employees (or delegates making the arrangements) give the employee's unique ID as well as name when making bookings.

I definitely agree! Unfortunately, it is a limitation of the booking system :( Thank you for your time and help. If you think of anything, I'd definitely be willing to try it out!

Upvote 0
What about having the booking system auto-grow the list?

So when one of these mis-identified names is newly identified as such, it gets added at that time to a table. With time the list will grow and be available. Importantly (I think) this list should also have the unique identifiers for these names that might be mixed up.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrakashGunabalan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back