Finding Most Common Values in Dataset

QuarterTurn

I'm trying to find the most common values in a set, where multiple values can occur in each cell.

I have a series of values organized similarly to the list below

ex.1
Apple
Orange|Pear
Apple|Pear
Apple|Orange|Pear
Watermelon|Pear
Apple|Pear
Strawberry|Orange​

and as a second example:

ex.2
Apple
Apple|Orange
Apple
Orange
Apple
Apple
Apple​

I'm trying to find the most common value, the second most common value, and the third most common value for each set, but only if that value appears at least three times.

In example 1, I am looking to see Pear as the most common answer, then Apple, and then Orange
In example 2, I am looking to see Apple as the most common answer, and for Orange to be ignored, as it does not appear the minimum three times.

I tried using a formula =INDEX(A1:A7,MODE(MATCH(A1:A7,A1:A7,0)))
but that would only read the value of the cell as a whole. (in example 1, it would feed "Apple|Pear" because that's the most common exact match).
I don't know how to write a formula that scans multiple values per cell. And I don't know how to restrict it to a minimum of three occurrences. And I don't know how to find the second or third most common values.

I hope I've been clear in my explanation. This is my first time writing in to Mr.Excel.
I'm happy to add any clarification.

Thank you.

Using Excel for Mac 2011

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Not sure if this will work on a Mac, but try this UDF

Code:
Function ModeString(rng As Range, d As String, k As Integer)
Dim Fruit As String, FruitArr() As String
Dim r As Range

For Each r In rng
    If Len(Fruit) = 0 Then Fruit = r.Value Else Fruit = Fruit & d & r.Value
Next r

For i = 1 To k
    FruitArr = Split(Fruit, d)
    ModeString = Application.Index(FruitArr, Application.Mode(Application.Match(FruitArr, FruitArr, 0)))
    Fruit = Replace(Fruit, ModeString & d, "")
Next i

End Function

with this function

=ModeString(Range,d,k)

where d is the delimiter ("|" in this case) and k is mode rank

a tie will return the first occuring

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I made a few tweaks

Code:
Function ModeString(rng As Range, d As String, k As Integer)
Dim Fruit As String, FruitArr() As String, fruitcount as Integer
Dim r As Range

On Error GoTo NA
For Each r In rng
    If Len(Fruit) = 0 Then Fruit = r.Value Else Fruit = Fruit & d & r.Value
Next r

For i = 1 To k
    FruitArr = Split(Fruit, d)
    ModeString = Application.Index(FruitArr, Application.Mode(Application.Match(FruitArr, FruitArr, 0)))
    Fruit = Replace(Fruit, ModeString & d, "")
Next i

For i = 0 To UBound(FruitArr)
    If FruitArr(i) = ModeString Then fruitcount = fruitcount + 1
    If fruitcount > 2 Then Exit Function
Next i

NA:
ModeString = "N/A"
End Function

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your response. I am not too familiar with Macros, so I don't know how to run this.

Are you able to help guide me through how to implement this code, or otherwise provide a formula alternative?

Upvote 0
Thank you! I will look through these tutorials and see if I can figure out VBA.

Keep me posted if you figure out a formula. I really appreciate all your help.

Upvote 0
All right. I have a formula that finds the largest, but I have not yet figured out how to get the 2nd, 3rd etc (the usual method involves count or countif) or how to apply the 3 limit

=INDEX(TRANSPOSE(INDEX(IFERROR(MID(A1:A7,SEARCH(CHAR(127),SUBSTITUTE("|"&A1:A7&"|","|",CHAR(127),COLUMN(A1:F1))),SEARCH(CHAR(127),SUBSTITUTE(A1:A7&"|","|",CHAR(127),COLUMN(A1:F1)))-SEARCH(CHAR(127),SUBSTITUTE("|"&A1:A7&"|","|",CHAR(127),COLUMN(A1:F1)))),""),N(IF(1,1+(INT((ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,ROWS(A1:A7)*COLUMNS(A1:F1)))-1)/COLUMNS(A1:F1))))),N(IF(1,1+(MOD((ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,ROWS(A1:A7)*COLUMNS(A1:F1)))-1),COLUMNS(A1:F1))))))),MODE(IFERROR(MATCH(INDEX(IFERROR(MID(A1:A7,SEARCH(CHAR(127),SUBSTITUTE("|"&A1:A7&"|","|",CHAR(127),COLUMN(A1:F1))),SEARCH(CHAR(127),SUBSTITUTE(A1:A7&"|","|",CHAR(127),COLUMN(A1:F1)))-SEARCH(CHAR(127),SUBSTITUTE("|"&A1:A7&"|","|",CHAR(127),COLUMN(A1:F1)))),""),N(IF(1,1+(INT((ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,ROWS(A1:A7)*COLUMNS(A1:F1)))-1)/COLUMNS(A1:F1))))),N(IF(1,1+(MOD((ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,ROWS(A1:A7)*COLUMNS(A1:F1)))-1),COLUMNS(A1:F1)))))),TRANSPOSE(INDEX(IFERROR(MID(A1:A7,SEARCH(CHAR(127),SUBSTITUTE("|"&A1:A7&"|","|",CHAR(127),COLUMN(A1:F1))),SEARCH(CHAR(127),SUBSTITUTE(A1:A7&"|","|",CHAR(127),COLUMN(A1:F1)))-SEARCH(CHAR(127),SUBSTITUTE("|"&A1:A7&"|","|",CHAR(127),COLUMN(A1:F1)))),ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&ROWS(A1:A7)*COLUMNS(A1:F1)))),N(IF(1,1+(INT((ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,ROWS(A1:A7)*COLUMNS(A1:F1)))-1)/COLUMNS(A1:F1))))),N(IF(1,1+(MOD((ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,ROWS(A1:A7)*COLUMNS(A1:F1)))-1),COLUMNS(A1:F1))))))),0),""))) confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

This is really the same concept of the formula you listed in post #1 =INDEX(A1:A7,MODE(MATCH(A1:A7,A1:A7,0)))

MID(A1:A7,SEARCH(CHAR(127),SUBSTITUTE("|"&A1:A7&"|","|",CHAR(127),COLUMN(A1:F1))),SEARCH(CHAR(127),SUBSTITUTE(A1:A7&"|","|",CHAR(127),COLUMN(A1:F1)))-SEARCH(CHAR(127),SUBSTITUTE("|"&A1:A7&"|","|",CHAR(127),COLUMN(A1:F1)))) This creates a 7x7 array of the separate words in your range (7 columns allows for up to 6 words in the corresponding cell. For your example you really only need 3)

N(IF(1,1+(INT((ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,ROWS(A1:A7)*COLUMNS(A1:F1)))-1)/COLUMNS(A1:F1))))),N(IF(1,1+(MOD((ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,ROWS(A1:A7)*COLUMNS(A1:F1)))-1),COLUMNS(A1:F1))))))) This redimensions that array to 1 column x 49 rows

Transpose allows me to index or match the subsequent array

Here is an example so you can check it out. I don't think this formula is very practical or useful, and I'm still not sure it will work on a mac

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow, this is brilliant! I tested it on a Mac with my example and it worked perfectly. It is actually very practical and useful for the projects I'm working on.

I really cannot thank you enough for your help with all this.

Upvote 0
If it were me, I'd make a pivottable then filter the table to show values greater than or equal to 3.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SWahl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back