finding Last row ??

Like you, I tend to use Range.Find(). It's normally an option to remove any filtering before I call it. Other than filtering, another thing Range.Find() will miss is if the last cell only contains a prefix character, '. Taking those into account too, I don't think there is a 100% foolproof method to determine the last row without some sort of looping involved.

There's a temptation to try using Range.SpecialCells() [xlCellTypeConstants and xlCellTypeFormulas] and to derive the last cell from those, but there could be problems on large worksheets because the Range.SpecialCells() method has a limitation of 2^13 non-contiguous cells.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
For what it's worth, the most reliable & consistent method of determining the last used row (or column) I have seen uses .Find (filtered or not) like so:
Code:
Dim LstRw As Long, LstCol As Integer
LstRw = Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=[A1], SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
LstCol = Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=[A1], SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Column
This seems to work anytime, anywhere and is not effected by 'phantom' used cells (such as values & formulas that have been deleted) which are sometimes still seen as a used range by excel.
I don't remember who showed this to me (it was years ago) but I think it may have been Tom Urtis

Hope it helps.

There is a pretty exhaustive discussion of this topic here. It's a long thread about a lot of different stuff. But I do think the best way to accomplish this task (and the discussion of why) was hit on here.

Code:
Public Function LastRowInSheet(wks As Worksheet) As Long 
     'From Rorya on MrExcel:
     'http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1793851&posted=1#post17938521
     ' Returns the number of the last row with data anywhere in it
    LastRowInSheet = 1 
    On Error Resume Next 
    With wks.UsedRange 
        LastRowInSheet = .Cells.Find("*", .Cells(1), SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _ 
        SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row 
    End With 
End Function

Interesting thread. It is something that pops up many times a day, and I *never* remember the same syntax twice.

Though that immediately sparks a follow up question.
Would you give a "good enough" answer or try and fit in the "perfect" one.

The End(xlUp) is fairly easy to understand, and quite often sufficient.Usually one can say with a certain degree of accuracy if a suggestion will be good enough to solve the problem. I usually avoid deviating too far from what someone has already posted, if at all posssible, as that's usually where their comfort level is.

Hmm, it seems my question did indeed, have many different thoughts from others and I will try some of the other ways of "finding the last cell"

Tom
I visited your website and I think it is going to provide a lot of assistance to people like myself, that always seem to have to "go find" the snippet I need, even though I have thousands of lines of my own, I never seem to have the couple of lines I want.

I look forward to visiting it again when it's completed.

Regards
Michael M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabat01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back