Finance - Taking care of your kids

Have I planned well enough for the future?

• There's beer in the fridge, what else?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What do you mean I have to pay for College?

• Waiting for my parents to die...

• Retirement = Social Security

• Total voters
Notwithstanding killerleaf's comments, it's also worth thinking about how you can ensure your children will be both willing and prepared to look after you when/if you are old and penniless.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Also look at the benefits of the different ones offered; sometimes just a couple of dollars in the premiums, and it helps pay for at-home nurses, or day care, which is better for everybody all the way around. My parents never owned a house, and Dad was confined to a wheelchair in the last few years of his life. Medicare/Medicaid would not pay anything to help him with mom, so he did everything himself around the house, taking care of her. It is tough to see your parents struggling, and realizing that you aren't in any better shape. I don't want my kids to have to go thru some of the grief and guilt I have gone thru.

Money is not necessarily the most important factor.
Willingness to make efforts/sacrifices based on affection and love is not something that can be taken for granted, nor guaranteed by having an insurance policy in place.

C. O. Jones said:
Money is not necessarily the most important factor.
Willingness to make efforts/sacrifices based on affection and love is not something that can be taken for granted, nor guaranteed by having an insurance policy in place.

Absolutely true, sir. With enough effort by loved ones, assuming the family/friends in question have the time to do it, you can get by with a minumum amount of extra cash - as for years was the case with extended families, the taking care of their elders.

However, some of us are physically unable to provide those services - not able to assist with activities of everyday living, and in that case an enormous amount of money may be required.

And as a friend once pointed out, carefull and prolonged investing can leave enough of a nest egg to handle a lot of elder care issues.

Ok, I have started and restarted this 4 times..and I guess it is because, yes, I do have a lot of guilt because I don't have mom staying with me. It hurts when other people seem to indicate that it is a matter of love and dedication. Sometimes, it is a flat out matter of money. I would love to be able to either hire someone to stay with mom during the day so I could still work, or just stay at home with her. She has to have 24 hour supervision. Unfortunately, I have bills that have to be paid, and my hubby's two jobs don't cover all of them, so I have to work to be able to pay them. We don't have luxuries; we don't go on trips, we are basically one (well, maybe two) missed paycheck from living in the car ourselves.

so..I guess my point is, just be very careful how you word things about future planning. I once thought the same things, but, after being laid off twice from well paying jobs, it has shown me just how things can change in an instant...and all the great intentions don't mean a thing if you can't implement them because you are broke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattyM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back