exporting data to access

galt13

Board Regular
I'm not sure if this makes sense or not but here goes. I'm trying to set up a training presentation using Microsoft Power Point 2010 in Kiosk mode that has a quiz at the end of it. I don't have a problem with any of that. What I can't figure out is how to export the employee name and quiz score to a Microsoft Access 2010 database for record keeping purposes using vba. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
You'd have to say what you're exporting from. AFAIK, powerpoint cannot take user input and put it on a slide (at least not without extensive coding). I doubt you have done that anyway. So where is the data?

Upvote 0
You'd have to say what you're exporting from. AFAIK, powerpoint cannot take user input and put it on a slide (at least not without extensive coding). I doubt you have done that anyway. So where is the data?

I'm accepting user input and I would like to write that input to an access darabase. what I'm having trouble with is writing to access using vba.

Upvote 0
ADO or DAO can be used with VBA to connect to an Access database and run commands or add/update data. The username can be retrieved with the environ("username") function in VBA. But I don't have any specific examples for you. I assume PowerPoint can be automated but it's not commonly done at this site so you'll have to navigate some of the differences between working with Powerpoint, and, say, Excel.

Upvote 0
ADO or DAO can be used with VBA to connect to an Access database and run commands or add/update data. The username can be retrieved with the environ("username") function in VBA. But I don't have any specific examples for you. I assume PowerPoint can be automated but it's not commonly done at this site so you'll have to navigate some of the differences between working with Powerpoint, and, say, Excel.

Thank you. I've never needed to work with access through vba. I believe you've answered my question.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm accepting user input and I would like to write that input to an access darabase. what I'm having trouble with is writing to access using vba.

That still does not tell me where the information is being stored. Text file? Word document? Excel file? Some other database? SharePoint list?
Shall I go on? Can't help you if you don't answer the questions being asked.
So where is the data?

Upvote 0
That still does not tell me where the information is being stored. Text file? Word document? Excel file? Some other database? SharePoint list?
Shall I go on? Can't help you if you don't answer the questions being asked.

Actually since only one person will be using any given instance at any given time the data handling can be done using a class. The issue is not data handling in powerpoint. I'm unfamiliar with access and wasn't sure about how to go interact with it through vba. why you so angry dude?

Upvote 0
Okay. There are a few folks here to help. Take a stab and if you need help share your work in progress.

For Excel and Access I used to share this page:
Excel, Access and ADO: Part 1 -- DataWright Information Services

or this page:
Export data from Excel to Access (ADO) | Erlandsen Data Consulting

The connection stuff would be the same but instead of cells and ranges you'd be using something else if you're in powerpoint (maybe slides or textboxes or who knows what).

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Actually since only one person will be using any given instance at any given time the data handling can be done using a class. The issue is not data handling in powerpoint. I'm unfamiliar with access and wasn't sure about how to go interact with it through vba. why you so angry dude?

No anger intended; I just tend to be direct and matter-of-fact. I am somewhat familiar with Access VBA and a bit with Excel too. If you looked, you would find that I've helped lots of people here and at Access Forums (.net) and have received a fair amount of positive feedback and thanks. You probably know that everyone who helps out here and in other forums does so by way of giving their own free time and desire to share knowledge. I will admit that sometimes, it's frustrating when people don't answer a simple question when they're asking for help - I guess that's my problem, not theirs. My alternative is to just drop a thread and move on, so not sure which is worse. In your case, for example, nothing you posted indicates the information you want to get into the database is in Excel, yet that's where it appears this solution is headed. I could have helped with that after your first post if that's what I knew. However, I would take a pass if it was in Word for example, because I do not know that object model at all, and have no intention of learning it. Thus I would not have wasted any more of your time (or mine). I could even have stated that depending on your setup, you might not need DAO or ADO at all. Hope you find a good solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dofrancis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back