Excel Updated! Scrolling in VBE!

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Entertaining stuff there. As well as the explanation of Richard/Richǻrd. True comedians in disguise here.

That or else he uses a really, really old mouse that doesn't have a wheel...

This is actually the case! :oops:

At work (where I do most of my Excel stuff) I use an old rubber-ball-inside-it mouse - you know, one of those ones that periodically stops working cos it's chock-a-block full of fluff. Quite embarrassing that I haven't noticed the scroll thing at home though.... :oops:

Bizarrely enough, you can scroll with a laptop touchpad mouse (or at least you can on my laptop) and that’s using XL2000 at home!! Hoorah for Microsoft finally sorting the mouse wheel issue....now if only I could convince my boss that I really need this update!! :lol:

Wow! i almost completely forgot about the old-rubber-ball-inside-it mouse! Takes me back....having to take the ball out and scrape the garbage off of the internal wheels.....then wondering where that crap came from. :lol:

...having to take the ball out and scrape the garbage off of the internal wheels...
~JoeFrench
...and here I thought I was the only one doing that... :-D

OK -- so what was everyone's preferred tool and/or SOP for this? Personally, I have a letter opener that is a wee samurai sword that I used to scrape the gunk off (I too always wondered how it was that the mouse pad was giving off this stuff when it didn't seem to be coated with gook). And then inevitably a bit of it would fall inside the mouse itself and I would try to fish it out with a straightened paperclip or, if feeling really persistant, try to use two paperclips like Lilliputian chopsticks and fumble about.

If my memory serves me right (been a while), I would use pens, pencils, my 6" scale, dial calipers, whatever was handy. I now use the Logitech TrackmanWheel mouse.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/&cl=us,en
This pretty much has the same problem but since there is no mouse pad and all that touches the ball is my thumb (that I'm aware of), I really don't want to know about the crud! :oops: I promise I wash my hands!!!

Edit: Lillipution Chopsticks!! HA!!! :rofl: That inspired a good hearty chuckle!

This is why I love this site! I've also noticed the lack of scrolling capability in the Editor window - I still try to use it at times when I am hurrying to fix something and am stymied for a moment when it doesn't scroll. Didn't even think to look for a fix to this issue! I've got to install it as soon as I get home!

Cleaning the mouse ball... I work in a hospital, and just happened to acquire a scalpel, which I keep in my top drawer. It was great for cleaning the grunge off the ball, but you had to be pretty careful. As for what the grunge is, I think you'll find it's the same crap that ends up on heavily used keyboards after a while. In other words, it's part of *you*.

The straightened paperclip was always my weapon of choice. It seemed to be the only appropriate thing I ever had to hand. Mind you, even now I have an optical mouse, I still find that the crud builds up around the little rubber feet (circle things) on the bottom. Again a paperclip seems to do the job.

My solution? One day I hope someone will invent a movement sensitive field into which you can simply place your hand and move the mouse pointer around that way. As long as I don’t find crud building up on my hands I think this would be ideal (and would save the lives of many an innocent paperclip).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleH77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back