Excel Quirks - Not a Question

Along the lines of the original thread, prior to Greg and Richard posting. :eek: :biggrin:

Have you ever tried naming a spreadsheet tab
history
It seems excel will not allow this, saying it's a reserved name. Just one of the weird things I've run into.

Cal

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Yeah, it's reserved (somebody actually has a thread on the subject, but I'm too lazy to look it up). It's reserved 'cause of the shared workbook tracking changes tool. When you ask Excel to show you the change log, that worksheet's name defaults to History, hence its being a reserved sheet name.

Have you ever tried naming a spreadsheet tab history

Here's another interesting anomally regarding tab names. You can't use (amongst other characters) a "/", but a bloke at work wrote a Crystal report that can be saved as an Excel file, but not knowing this rule, his report is dumped in a sheet that uses "/" in the tab name. Excel 2000 would open this file without problem and I never had a hiccup with it. When we changed to Excel 2003, the file was always opened with an "error" which Excel insisted on repairing - which basically involved renaming the sheet.

Alright, so it's not that interesting - just thought I'd share it with you.

DominicB

A bit like what Dominic said,

I download a CSV file (for work) from a web page which automatically opens in excel (theres no save option). the file opens with the sheet tab name .CSV[thensomewords

when you try and rename the sheet tab you cant, ha ha and when you create a new sheet it starts .CSV[Sheet1

You cant change the sheet name in code or anything, truly crap!

I just copy and paste the csv in to a normal worksheet, just another excel quirk

If you save the csv file as a spreadsheet, you can then change the name of the tab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back