Excel Questions Forum Moves at Almost the Speed of Light ??

Re: Excel Questions Forum Moves at Almost the Speed of a Hyperspace Weasel ??

Unfortunately this seems to be coming back to a topic discussed previously about thread titles... it seems that no matter how clear the rules on thread titles, people won't/don't follow :(

How many times do you see threads titled 'Please Help' 'Experts Required' or even, as you've shown 'Macro Issue' which really isn't clear on what the actual problem is.
The issue is the people who come here a lot of the time have no idea what technical terms are...so you're likely to get most things flagged as General or whatever the Misc tag would be

The suggestion has it's Pro's, I just can't see it working when some people already have a problem not putting HELP or URGENT in titles

Actually, isn't there a way to make those banned words in titles? ;)

I wouldn't want to have to choose a topic for my posts. Simpler is better. Anyway, just saying a post is about VBA doesn't really tell me much about the post. Or ditto, that its about Formulas, or Worksheets. I'd probably ignore such keywords.

and I'm pretty sure the following would drive me crazy (and would appear daily):

VBA: VBA Help needed
WORKSHEETS: Worksheets problem
FORMULAS: Need formula
etc.

-------------

@Superferret:
We'd need these topics:
EXPERT HELP NEEDED: blah blah blah
EXPERT HELP NEEDED (BUT ITS A VERY SIMPLE PROBLEM): blah blah blah
URGENT HELP NEEDED: blah blah blah
URGENT HELP NEEDED (I'LL CHECK BACK IN A FEW DAYS): blah blah blah

Last edited:
@Superferret:
We'd need these topics:
EXPERT HELP NEEDED: blah blah blah
EXPERT HELP NEEDED (BUT ITS A VERY SIMPLE PROBLEM): blah blah blah
URGENT HELP NEEDED: blah blah blah
URGENT HELP NEEDED (I'LL CHECK BACK IN A FEW DAYS): blah blah blah

Exactly! Perfect! ;)

Hello;

Obviously there's no much support from the Board experts, so perhaps I shouldn't pursue the idea any further at this time!

Strangely enough, I've been able with minimum effort to convince my colleagues (academia) and my eng. grad. students, and they'll adopt the suggestion in their future New Threads/Titles.
The thing is not all of them use this Forum; some use other XL Forums & DGs.

Thank you ALL for your comments and time.

Regards.

Obviously there's no much support from the Board experts, so perhaps I shouldn't pursue the idea any further at this time!
I am sorry that you feel that way. We do listen and consider good ideas. The truth of the matter is that over the years, most of these ideas have been discussed time and time again, so most of us have been through the same discussions multiple times.

I am not sure how closely you read my replies, but I tried to detail the reasons this may not be feasible (and others veterans raised some good points too). Just like any other software program, there are limitations and constraints which we are confined by. It is not as easy as coming up with an idea and flipping a switch. Even it it was, there are still other factors that need to be considered, such as if it is consistent with the board philosophy.

In the end, it comes down to the users.
If you could get all (or most) users to insert a relevant keyword it would be useful. Given the number of users who have no idea what they are asking (ie, confident comment that they need x, only to find out that a, b, c and y are all more direct and easier to implement) the keywords would not be a reliable indicator of the topic.

Sorry if my first response got up your nose, I was replying more to another post from T.Valko.

Denis

Hey Monir
I agree with your suggestions. However, I think everybody would like to see a better mousetrap, but as pointed out by others, we are constrained by the software provider, and use what we have in the best way we can.
AND
Based on the number of posters / posts on this forum, I would suggest it is working better than OK. I also don't think Bill Jelens, in his wildest expectations, thought the forum would be generating millions of posts...if he had known that, I'm sure he would have taken a different approach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugubara

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back